• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW PC Build - Purchasing in May

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

b0t

Registered
Hi fellas,
Last time I asked for help here was when I built my 2015 PC (which is my current) and its time to get a new one finally.
I have parts that I am already sure about, and others that I need your help and expertise with.
what I've come up with so far :
i7 12700K / KF
Corsair Vengeance 32GB (16GBx2) 5600MHz DDR5
SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB M.2 NVMe
ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
ASUS STRIX DLX RAID 7.1
FRACTAL DESIGN MESHIFY 2 (regular, not Compact)

parts in question :
Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler - need an expert's opinion on this one as Im not really sure but I know that I want a cooler and not just a "Box" version of the CPU. ( cpu cooler on my current build : Arctic Freezer i30 )
what I need u to help me with :
Decent DDR5 Z690 Motherboard (Preferably Asus , had not such a good experience with Gigabyte) and also I dont know how stable are their boards in the Z690 gen, I only know that Asus does get its praises.
and I actually want to minimize input lag as much as possible, heard known oc'ers say that Gigabyte is questionable for the Z690 gen)

Quality PSU to drive this system well (I usually buy Seasonic and this is my strict preference.)

***a big issue I've had with my current build is coil whine coming out of my microphone as I speak which is directly related to how the GPU is working , if its under heavy load the noise is stronger, if its only slightly working the noise is weaker, idle = almost no noise. I figured its because of how close my Asus Phoebus solo and my GPU are connected to the motherboard. not sure tho, would love your take on this aswell, I wouldn't want to have this microphone whine in my new build aswell.

P.S. The case is also open for debate, as well as the rest of the build, would love recommendations and opinions.
Noise level importance : 5/10
Dont actually plan on OC'ing right away but would love to have the option I guess.
Currently have 2 Noctua fans in their brand new boxes (12mm and 14mm) that will be inserted additionally in the PC if they'll be needed (or if I have space)

Appreciate your help and looking forward to hearing any criticism.
Last question : I've been looking into the ASUS PRIME Z690-P and A boards, what are the differences other than P version not having USB2 ports? (and its a shame).

Input lag.......... for gaming? Never heard anything bad, but if you're into that low lag thing, ASRock has a couple of Z690-based boards that have USB ports to supposedly reduce that. If they work or not or how well, no clue.

Why the soundcard? I assume you have some good cans/speakers to get the benefits? Otherwise, I'd use the onboard and if it isn't good enough, buy a card. For most users, integrated is plenty fine.

NH-D15 will be a great choice for air cooling.

Seasonic Prime PSUs are still great. :)

Input lag.......... for gaming? Never heard anything bad, but if you're into that low lag thing, ASRock has a couple of Z690-based boards that have USB ports to supposedly reduce that. If they work or not or how well, no clue.

Why the soundcard? I assume you have some good cans/speakers to get the benefits? Otherwise, I'd use the onboard and if it isn't good enough, buy a card. For most users, integrated is plenty fine.

NH-D15 will be a great choice for air cooling.

Seasonic Prime PSUs are still great. :)
Hi, appreciate the lightning-fast reply.
1. and if choosing between Gigabyte and Asus ? I prefer not going in the MSI/ASRock direction
2. I have some heavy headphones and plan to get even heavier ones in the near future so no - integrated audio isnt for me.
3. Isnt the NH-D15 very bulky?
4. The ONLY Seasonic PRIME model I can get here locally is : SeaSonic PRIME ULTRA 650W 80+ Titanium.

will 650W be enough?

1. Both. Nothing wrong with either (for your purposes)
2. Heavy...I dont understand how you're using that word. But if that means you have high-end headphones, ok.
3. Yes it is.
4. 650W is plenty for a 12700K and rtx 3070... even overclocked.

1. Both. Nothing wrong with either (for your purposes)
2. Heavy...I dont understand how you're using that word. But if that means you have high-end headphones, ok.
3. Yes it is.
4. 650W is plenty for a 12700K and rtx 3070... even overclocked.

1. Thank you
2. Heavy means high impedance
3. Ive already decided to go with Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360
4. Thank you very much.

what about motherboards and ram combo ? whether I decide to go with ddr4 , or a ddr5 option (ddr5 supported boards cost exactly like ddr4 boards)

Many boards support up to 600Ohm headphones, note.

As far as DDR4 vs DDR5, there's barely a performance difference between the two...but if the mobo costs are the same, the only difference is in RAM costs. Get the best you can/want afford.

Many boards support up to 600Ohm headphones, note.

As far as DDR4 vs DDR5, there's barely a performance difference between the two...but if the mobo costs are the same, the only difference is in RAM costs. Get the best you can/want afford.

Is ASUS PRIME Z690-A or P any good ?

Surely. It's down to features/specs you want/need, looks and price. :)

Go with DDR5 is my take. :)

Ok. so ASUS PRIME it is.
Any specific DDR5 kit ? (assuming I wont overclock the ram at least in the near future)

and also, does any one have any clue about the coil whine mic related to gpu issue I've described at the beginning? and how to avoid it in my next build? (when its a gpu+dedicated soundcard setup)

and what about my CASE choice? the meshify 2 ?

Ok. so ASUS PRIME it is.
Any specific DDR5 kit ? (assuming I wont overclock the ram at least in the near future)

and also, does any one have any clue about the coil whine mic related to gpu issue I've described at the beginning? and how to avoid it in my next build? (when its a gpu+dedicated soundcard setup)

and what about my CASE choice? the meshify 2 ?
Get at least DDR5-6000. Newegg has a G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000 with 36-36-36-72 timings for $340, a bit better than the usual CL40. One five-star reviewer specifically used it with an i7-12700K on ASUS Prime-P Z690.

Get at least DDR5-6000. Newegg has a G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000 with 36-36-36-72 timings for $340, a bit better than the usual CL40. One five-star reviewer specifically used it with an i7-12700K on ASUS Prime-P Z690.

I actually leaned towards the Prime-P or Prime-A models,
but the A model is so weird, its at least 60-70$ more expensive than the P, it has VERY few usb ports, it DOESNT have ANY usb2 ports, who makes a motherboard without at least 2 usb2 ports? its standard.
I dont know what's their point of making the Prime-A to be honest.
P on the other hand is cheaper + it seems to have everything I need.

about the RAM, why 6000? any specific reason ?

Here all we have that comes to mind that is either 6000 or 6400 and has decent timings is Trident-Z5 models , 6000 with CL36 and 6400 with CL32 (both are VERY VERY VERY Expensive, to give u an estimate - The 6400 cl32 costs 50$ less than an RTX 3060TI here.

EDIT: found that ram with the 36-36-36-72 timings
by using its model number (6000U3636E16GX2)

can get it locally for 60$ more than newegg. is it a decent one?

Last edited:
who makes a motherboard without at least 2 usb2 ports? its standard.
Is the count enough? What's there is faster anyway. There's also more modern (read: type-c) connectivity than most boards of this class.

6000 is what many would consider to be a sweetspot between price and performance.

Is the count enough? What's there is faster anyway. There's also more modern (read: type-c) connectivity than most boards of this class.

6000 is what many would consider to be a sweetspot between price and performance.

even if not overclocking the RAM?
I'll order it no problem even right now I just wanna be sure first

and also, I need CASE recommendations guys (some ppl have told me that this MESHIFY 2 I chose has very questionable built in fans)

so what do u recommend? (I'd like it not to be anything too small, with DECENT fans and good air flow (noise is only 5/10 of an emphasis for me in that matter)

oh and I aint too much of an RGB enthusiast

I think that Fractal Torrent is better - https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/torrent/

If you buy DDR5 then 6000 is a minimum I would take for a new PC. It's because the price is not much higher than the DDR5-5200/5600, and it usually runs at the same timings as lower kits. If it's on the motherboard's QVL then all should be fine. G.Skill, ADATA, Corsair or Kingston DDR5-6000/6200 run fine on all ASUS and MSI motherboards. At least I haven't heard about problems below DDR5-6400 on these two motherboard brands.

Probably every PSU from a known brand which has 80+ Gold/Platinum certificate is a good option. Some years ago I wouldn't touch some models or brands but nowadays it doesn't make so big difference. Personally I like Corsair and EVGA. However, even cheaper brands rated at 80+ Gold/Platinum are pretty good (some have louder fans but no problems with voltages). If any brand gives a 5-year warranty then they are sure that the product is good.
Higher 80+ Gold or Platinum PSUs run in semi-passive mode. In short, up to 30-50% load, the fan is not spinning. Just a suggestion that if you see a PSU with a passive mode up to 40-50% load then it has to be built on good components and doesn't run hot.
650W is enough but sometimes you can find cheaper 750W. I was running a similar setup on a 450W Corsair SF and it was fine. It doesn't mean I recommend that but I simply say that a high quality 600-650W PSU is more than enough.

Last edited:
I think that Fractal Torrent is better - https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/torrent/

If you buy DDR5 then 6000 is a minimum I would take for a new PC. It's because the price is not much higher than the DDR5-5200/5600, and it usually runs at the same timings as lower kits. If it's on the motherboard's QVL then all should be fine. G.Skill, ADATA, Corsair or Kingston DDR5-6000/6200 run fine on all ASUS and MSI motherboards. At least I haven't heard about problems below DDR5-6400 on these two motherboard brands.

Probably every PSU from a known brand which has 80+ Gold/Platinum certificate is a good option. Some years ago I wouldn't touch some models or brands but nowadays it doesn't make so big difference. Personally I like Corsair and EVGA. However, even cheaper brands rated at 80+ Gold/Platinum are pretty good (some have louder fans but no problems with voltages). If any brand gives a 5-year warranty then they are sure that the product is good.
Higher 80+ Gold or Platinum PSUs run in semi-passive mode. In short, up to 30-50% load, the fan is not spinning. Just a suggestion that if you see a PSU with a passive mode up to 40-50% load then it has to be built on good components and doesn't run hot.
650W is enough but sometimes you can find cheaper 750W. I was running a similar setup on a 450W Corsair SF and it was fine. It doesn't mean I recommend that but I simply say that a high quality 600-650W PSU is more than enough.
actually just before reading your comment I ordered the G.Skill Trident-Z 32GB 6000mhz with the 36-36-36-72 timings that was suggested here from a local store (f5-6000u3636e16gx2-tz5rk) - very limited supply apparently.

and I am kinda set on the SeaSonic PRIME ULTRA 650W 80+ Titanium SSR-650TR, judging the specs it has to be good, hope 650w will be enough for the rig

EDIT : found both compact and regular torrent versions (black solid, black with window & even white ones with window that I might prefer over black) , noticeable differences between the compact and regular torrent?

EDIT 2: will I be able to fit the Arctic liquid freezer ii 360 AIO I wanna get for the CPU? I cant really tell by looking at the dimensions of the case & the cooler

Last edited:
Our systems are very similar. I have the DDR5 6000 memory and its running XMP without any problems. I also have the NH-D15 and it fits a mid tower, it's close though.

actually just before reading your comment I ordered the G.Skill Trident-Z 32GB 6000mhz with the 36-36-36-72 timings that was suggested here from a local store (f5-6000u3636e16gx2-tz5rk) - very limited supply apparently.

and I am kinda set on the SeaSonic PRIME ULTRA 650W 80+ Titanium SSR-650TR, judging the specs it has to be good, hope 650w will be enough for the rig

EDIT : found both compact and regular torrent versions (black solid, black with window & even white ones with window that I might prefer over black) , noticeable differences between the compact and regular torrent?

EDIT 2: will I be able to fit the Arctic liquid freezer ii 360 AIO I wanna get for the CPU? I cant really tell by looking at the dimensions of the case & the cooler

G.Skill 6000 CL36 is more than fine.

Seasonic 650W Titanium should have efficiency like 750W/850W from more standard series. I already see that comparing 600W Corsair Platinum to some lower series but 750-850W.

The compact Torrent is a bit shorter. If you want to use 360 AIO then get the regular one. If you want to use Noctua then the compact one will probably look better and take up less space.
This is in the product specs.

Regular version:
  • Front radiator
    Up to 360/420 mm, including 360x180 mm
  • Rear radiator
    Up to 120/140 mm
  • Bottom radiator
    Up to 360/420 mm (458 mm max length)

Compact version:
  • Front radiator
    Up to 360x120/280x140 mm (360 mm front radiators (push / push-pull) supported up to a max length of 403 mm)
  • Rear radiator
    120x120 mm
  • Bottom radiator
    Up to 240x120/280x140 mm

G.Skill 6000 CL36 is more than fine.

Seasonic 650W Titanium should have efficiency like 750W/850W from more standard series. I already see that comparing 600W Corsair Platinum to some lower series but 750-850W.

The compact Torrent is a bit shorter. If you want to use 360 AIO then get the regular one. If you want to use Noctua then the compact one will probably look better and take up less space.
This is in the product specs.

Regular version:
  • Front radiator
    Up to 360/420 mm, including 360x180 mm
  • Rear radiator
    Up to 120/140 mm
  • Bottom radiator
    Up to 360/420 mm (458 mm max length)

Compact version:
  • Front radiator
    Up to 360x120/280x140 mm (360 mm front radiators (push / push-pull) supported up to a max length of 403 mm)
  • Rear radiator
    120x120 mm
  • Bottom radiator
    Up to 240x120/280x140 mm
Thank you very much for the help man.

what about the RTX 3070, is the ASUS ROG STRIX version really the "best" out there as the standard reviews say ? (cant get the EVGA FTW3 before u say anything)
Post magically merged:

Our systems are very similar. I have the DDR5 6000 memory and its running XMP without any problems. I also have the NH-D15 and it fits a mid tower, it's close though.

yeah but I'll go with the 360 AIO instead of the Noctua, and will get the KF version the of 12700 cpu

hope 650w will be enough for the rig
It will be fine. 3070 is 220W.. CPU is less... other things attached vary, but 50W or so is good estimate.

what about the RTX 3070, is the ASUS ROG STRIX version really the "best" out there as the standard reviews say ? (cant get the EVGA FTW3 before u say anything)
the difference between most of these are negligible performance-wise. Do you want the best.........fastest? The best.......quietest? The best........... what, to be sure. :)

But again, the differences arent that much. You can look at noise and such, but, performance differences are within a couple of % from potato to flagship.

It will be fine. 3070 is 220W.. CPU is less... other things attached vary, but 50W or so is good estimate.

the difference between most of these are negligible performance-wise. Do you want the best.........fastest? The best.......quietest? The best........... what, to be sure. :)

But again, the differences arent that much. You can look at noise and such, but, performance differences are within a couple of % from potato to flagship.
fastest? would be nice..
the most "correct" term to put it will be "most durable and well built quality wise" . thats why I dont go on AliExpress and order any rtx3070 brand from china x)

Back