• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New pc build under 1k.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evilme

Registered
Hi guys, It's is time for me to upgrade my pc and have decided to go with a i5 750 over a i7 920 due to cost. Unless someone can influence me other wise.
My needs are basic gaming, encoding bd, HDTV playback, music and multi tasking.
This is my first pc build in years and have been a longtime luker of these forums. So i'm planing to purchase over this weekend and came up with a few items. But nothing is set in stone just yet. Before I start droping cash out on a new build. I figure I can get some final input over some guy that don't know nothing about pc in the store.

OK the goods Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB (already have) $100
2x OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5" 30GB $280
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B $70
Radeon HD 4670 1GB $70 (already have)
Core i5-750 $200
GA-P55-UD3R $145
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 7-7-7-24 $140
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W $54 (already have)
I will be using W7 32 bit for the os. Will be doing a mild oc to it only expecting 3.5-4.0GHz as ths psu is only 400w for now.

The only thing I know is that I want a i5 core. The mb, mem, cpu cooler are all those good choices? Vertex will be ran in raid 0 for the os and the tb drive for other stuff.

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCForums!

Your selections are good. The only thing I'm worried about is the PSU, it would definitely be your next upgrade. Also, do you already have W7 32bit? If not, get 64bit so you can access all of your RAM.

Last edited:
uh.. drop the ssds and get a real psu and vid card.. what good is fast read/write if your games look like trash or your cpu bsod's cause of lack of real power..

seriously.. and get 64bit os to see the ram, as stated above.

get some velociraptors or something if you really need the speed, but even 7200rpm in raid0 will get impressive times and you'd save enough to get a corsair 600w psu and maybe a better or 2nd vid card, seeing thats only 70bucks

Dropping 1 SSD would be an option to free up $140 for a better PSU, and one 30GB SSD is plenty for the OS and a few most-used apps. You'll just need a better PSU before you get a high-end GPU.

Psionic98,

He said he does basic gaming, which would imply he does not need a great graphics card. So if the 4670 covers his gaming needs, than SSD's will be far better for him than a (relatively) slow hd and a 5850 (or something along those lines.)

As for the psu, he has it already. Assuming he is not upgrading, the 400w Corsair will work fine with the i5 setup.

uh.. drop the ssds and get a real psu and vid card.. what good is fast read/write if your games look like trash or your cpu bsod's cause of lack of real power..

seriously.. and get 64bit os to see the ram, as stated above.

get some velociraptors or something if you really need the speed, but even 7200rpm in raid0 will get impressive times and you'd save enough to get a corsair 600w psu and maybe a better or 2nd vid card, seeing thats only 70bucks

Thanks for the response. Yes I will upgrade the psu. But even at stock it should be fine for now. Even thinking the video card will holdup for now. Those two are the obious things that stand out for sure. Oh yea W7 64 bit is also on the "upgrade list". I already have a copy of the 32 bit so I will run what I have for now. How much perfomace hit will I take without having 64 bit running 4gb of ram?

It would be a great idea to drop the ssd drives but I want to end up with 3 vertex drives as I read on how speed drops when drive starts to gets full.I was thinking that I don't need the space just extra snap on file transfers when dealing with small and big files. One sd drive is an option but that might leave me with 2gb of free space. Two intels drives would be great also but my budget is about $150-$200 per pc part.

I just read that you can get a i7 920 for $200 @mc which is nice but wouldn't the mb and mem cost more than an i5 setup? If my logic is backwards let me know but I was thinking of just getting all the basic core parts I need for a pc setup while reusing the I had left over. The item I choose would be a major upgrade coming from a P4 ht.

Good thing I came here first, lots of feedback just what I needed.

So going over final cost of i5 setup is going to be about $750 just just the mb, harddrives
cpu, and mem. Now the cpu cooler what fans are you guys running and case fans also? Not sure but the build looks good $550 for a baisc core. Still have not looked over the I7 build. Do you guys think I can pull off a i7 basic core build with about the same price as i5 and if so what mb and mem can I use and still get a decent oc. Oh yeah I don't need sli/crossfire just one day like to get a stable 4.0 ghz clock.

possible.. if you get i7 at ms thats 200, get g.skill 6gb triple channel ram for ~150, get gigabyte ud3r for 190 or a foxconn flamingblade for 170.. but for an i7 i would have to suggest on getting a better psu.. if you're going to put out this kind of money on a new PC it would be horrible to lose it due to the psu frying on you and taking all the pretty new parts with it (not always, but its possbile).. though 400 "might" boot it up, i doubt it would stay stable under load

still for the parts above (i7)
cpu 200
mobo 180
mem 150
total 530

(i5)
cpu 200
mobo 150
mem 140
total 490

I think 40 bucks + a better psu if you can afford it right now would be a sweet deal

i got the rig in my sig for a little over 1k, but i also used our classifieds to get some parts

the OP listed cas7 ripjaws not cas9..thats the major price diff there..nothing wrong with cas9, but you probably wont get much past 8-8-8-24-1t without alot of fine tweaking and volt control..

According to SSDs, TRIM, and Available Disk Space the available disk space on SSDs has much less of an impact than many people think.

I would use 1 SSD now, and maybe get another at a later date. A good PSU for the upgrades is more important than a SSD RAID0 array. If you really need 60GB of space get a 60GB Vertex and you'll save $40, I know the reads and writes won't be as fast. You'll get 230MB/s of the 300MB/s SATAII limit, which is pretty good. As for writes, yes, they will be slower, but you shouldn't be writing/saving a lot to your SSD anyway, that should go to your WD Black.

If you can part with a 30GB SDD that will free up $140, and you could save $40 if you go with CAS8 RAM or save $55 with CAS9 RAM. Personally I would go for the CAS8, because I don't think saving $15 more is worth stepping down to CAS9. So, a savings of $180 could be had with 1 30GB SSD and CAS8 RAM or $80 savings with 60GB SSD and CAS8 RAM. That extra money could be put towards a better PSU for future upgrades.

Agree, raiding 30GB SSD's is not smart. I've got the cheap 40GB Kingston that I love. Win7 64 bit installed and keep about 22gb free space on it with all my small apps that I use regularly. The only SSD's I'd consider raiding really is the 160GB Intel's and only if you did serious IO intensive stuff.

I'd go with either one of the new 40GB Intel drives, get a single 80GB Intel, or wait for the new 100GB OCZ drives.

As for going i7 or i5, its likely not that big a deal especially if you don't need HT, virtualization, etc. But if you can build it for $50 more with 6GB of DDR3 instead of 4GB of DDR2 then its a no brainer even if you aren't 64 bit right away.

You guys are right about the SSD drives as it's just a want and not a need. So I came up with a new plan. Droping the i5 for the $200 i7 @MC.

So I am thinking of going with the ASUS P6T SE or the EX58-UD3R. I don't know what mem to use for the i-7 OCZ seems to do the job. OCZ Gold 6GB over the Dominator 6GB DDR3 but how would it overclock?

The PSU will be the CMPSU-650TX for like $90. I kind of like how this is looking now, any more input will be great as i'm going to be buying the parts tonight or tomorrow.

I had this worked out for a i5 and ssd. I mean what I read was drop i5 for i7 cuz it's only a 15$ difference. Ssd cost too much stick with the 1tb hd for now. The money I save from not buying ssd drives will go to the mb, psu and a copy of W764 bit. Is this what you guys are tring to tell me?

So what i7 mb can I use that's about $200 ish that will still overclock and what mem?

the 2 mobos listed earlier both work fine for i7 920s. as for ram, dont get ocz gold, you will want ocz platinum. the dominators are fine too, ive got one rig running dominators and one running OCZ plat, both are great. And you will definately want 64bit windows for this system so you can utilize all the RAM (even more crucial when doing with an i7)

*edit* guess platinum doesn't exist anymore in the tri channel flavor. so gold is fine or this is fine too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227501

Perfect choice on the PSU, that should last you a good while.

Yes i noticed that the op posted cas 7, I was just showing cas 9 is alot cheaper.
You aren't going to see a difference with cas 7, 8, or 9 besides price. maybe 1 or 2 fps (obviously not worth $40).

personally my g.skills that hey zeus posted are exactly what I use.. cant complain.. not going for benching so I dont need top of the line everything!

Back