• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New pc, need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

Im looking to build a new pc it will be used mainly for gaming some word processing and web browsing, I am interested in ocing it and I need it to be reasonably expandable for the future.

I will be needing all parts with exception to the monitor, Heres the basic outline of the main parts I was thinking about getting-

CPU-
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - OEM

Hard Drive/s-
Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB WD360GD 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 NCQ 200GB ST3200826AS SATA 8MB Cache

Motherboard-
DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard

HS-
ThermalRight SI-120

PSU-
Hiper HPU-4B580 Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU

Case-
Need help choosing suggestions greatly welcomed

DVD RW-
LG GSA-4167BAL 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)

RAM-
Need help here aswell

GFX Card-
BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC 512MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI

Speakers-
Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers - OEM

Mouse-
Razer Copperhead Tempest Blue 2000dpi High Precision Gaming Mouse - Retail

Keyboard-
Saitek PZ30AU Eclipse Illuminated Keyboard

Thats about it I have a few other items to add e.g. Floppy, Additional cooling but they can go in in the final draft

I am thinking of going Dual core is this a wise option or should I stick with single core

What are the differences between DFI lanparty SLI-D, SLI-DRand SLI-DR Expert

Is it possible seeing as the Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D has two pci express slots to flash the bios of the non sli mobo to an sli capable mobo?

Thnx in advance

RIPSTER

Soichiro

I am thinking of going Dual core is this a wise option or should I stick with single core
Dual core isn't the best option right now unless you multitask a lot, but it will futureproof your comp a bit.

What are the differences between DFI lanparty SLI-D, SLI-DRand SLI-DR Expert
SLI-DR has motherboard status lights (w/e they're called). The DR Expert has the PCI-E slots farther apart for better cooling and it doesn't require you to flash the BIOS in order to support dual core processors.

Is it possible seeing as the Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D has two pci express slots to flash the bios of the non sli mobo to an sli capable mobo?
The BIOS is exactly the same in both versions. The only difference is that the SLI-D has a set of transistors or something bridged that the Ultra-D doesn't. You can fix this problem with something as common as a pencil and it'll recognize it as a SLI-D on the next boot. Search google for more info or a guide or something.

AZNBoiOnFIYA

for the price of the venice i would try and get a 146 opty for $40 more. the extra cache will help and it will give you better clocks.

OP
RIPSTER

RIPSTER

thanks AZNBoiOnFIYA ill take that in to consideration is it realy that much better than the venice? and will i notice a performance increase over the venice.

Any other comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated as you can see i still need help choosing the RAM and Case

EDIT-

If i were to buy the Lanparty Ultra-D and use the pencil mod would it be capable of the exact same things as the SLI-D or does the SLI-D have advantages over the Ultra-D other than actual SLI.

Thnx in advance

Ripster

Last edited:

AZNBoiOnFIYA

people are getting clocks close to 3ghz for the 144 opty and about the same for the 146, and these are on air. i think the highest ive seen on a venice is ~2.7ghz. the problem is that everyone is sold out on the optys and i think they dont have an eta on shipments until the end of january. if you cant wait then just get the venice, but if you have the patience then it will be worth it to go for the opterons.

Fathom1990

If you're having trouble finding an Opty 144/146 - I know I was - head over to www.rlsupplies.co.uk They don't list the steppings for the chips, but my one was a CABNE (best stepping for OCing). They've only got 9 144s left and 12 146s though, so you better hurry if you're getting one.