• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New pc random reboot [SOLVED]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gin

I thought if it was not the Nvidia driver, it was the psu. I bought a new Legion GX pro 650W "waste of money maybe if old psu was just fine" but issue is still there. So far it has only happened in Apex Legends and I haven't got any reboot in other application or games so far "need more testing tho". I did some Kombustor for 40 min and no reboot. I did same with prime95 and no reboot. The weird thing I have found tho, is that if I limit FPS for Apex legends let's say to 74FPS "current monitor is 75hz" I played like 5 hours and no system reboot. Did try again with FPS unlimited and got system reboot after like 10 min gameplay? If you guys have some ideas to test I'm all in. I just bought a 166hz monitor that should arrive next week and I believe I would want my FPS unlimited for that matter... so it only makes me sick =(

PD: When I get the reboot, it is not instant reboot, sometimes the screen gets locked in black with a distortioned noise I get on headphones, max 2 seconds then reboot.
PD2: Was checking temps and CPU temp hits 82ºC a few times while playing? is this bad? GPU temps won't go higher than 75ºC

Last edited:
I'd go through the usual... bios updated? Amd chipset drivers installed? Update audio and gpu drivers....etc.

Reactions: Gin
I'd go through the usual... bios updated? Amd chipset drivers installed? Update audio and gpu drivers....etc.
Thank you for fast reply. Yes I updated bios to latest and chipset drivers installed. All drivers are updated. In fact I just updated Nvidia from 497.09 to 497.29 at the same time I reset bios to default and got quite higher voltage on CPU. At time of writing this I have Apex open to see if it continues with no reboot "so far so good" if it was solved by either updating nvidia driver or bios voltage, can I keep these high 1.48 sometime vcore?

Thank you for fast reply. Yes I updated bios to latest and chipset drivers installed. All drivers are updated. In fact I just updated Nvidia from 497.09 to 497.29 at the same time I reset bios to default and got quite higher voltage on CPU. At time of writing this I have Apex open to see if it continues with no reboot "so far so good" if it was solved by either updating nvidia driver or bios voltage, can I keep these high 1.48 sometime vco
That's the default volage and normal really. If temps are good, you're alright. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gin
I see, thank you very much for clarifying about voltage. Last thing I would like to ask: I realised my PSU only got a 8 pin connector, and this motherboard has a 8 plus 4 cpu pin connectors, could this lead to some issues?

The 4pin extra connector on the motherboard is for heavy-duty overclocking and not needed in 99.99% of situations.

It ended up being the Nvidia driver faulty, that was causing system reboot during gaming. Thread solved! Thank you all for your time and help!

Last edited:
Why would it be dangerous?
I don't know, maybe if it is power related, it could prevent damage. IDK, I don't know what is causing the reboots so I can't tell if it would save something or not :V

No, it's not dangerous. But if you are getting a BSOD while you're running that game you will see the BSOD message instead of just rebooting.

I think I was not clear enough to note that I'm not getting any BSOD. Screen goes black at the same time I can hear the audio going "GRRRRR" sound and then computer reboot.

Im so confused... did you delete the original post and details of the problem? I think it would have been more helpful to leave that in and simply BUMP (post) in the thread with that update... also, please update your signature so the hardware info travels with each post. :)

Anyway... have you reinstalled windows? Like... from scratch? Even tried doing it on a different drive?

Im so confused... did you delete the original post and details of the problem? I think it would have been more helpful to leave that in and simply BUMP (post) in the thread with that update... also, please update your signature so the hardware info travels with each post. :)

Anyway... have you reinstalled windows? Like... from scratch? Even tried doing it on a different drive?

Yes, I messed it up a bit. Could you please tell me where do I edit my signature? The issue is a computer crash when I'm playing Apex Legends, after testing it's only happening when I do not limit the frames per second for this game. If I run it uncaped I would reach 140 160 FPS which I believe is normal? but computer will go black screen with a weird electric noise like stuck or crashed audio then the system will reboot itself. I thought it was the PSU so I bought a new one, issue is still there. I have bought a new NVMe SSD W.D Black NS750 "windows and games were installed on old slow kingston SSD" and issue is still there. I ran some kombustor test and prime95 to see if it will reboot under load, but no system reboot.

"windows and games were installed on old slow kingston SSD" and issue is still there
So... did you reinstall windows from scratch?

And it's only in apex?

To edit your signature click on your "G" icon in the upper right and then SIGNATURE.

The google machine led me here...

PC​

If you’re playing Apex Legends and your game keeps crashing or freezing, but you know you meet the minimum requirements, then you may need to do a bit of troubleshooting to fix this.

When Apex Legends crashes on PC, it creates an "apex_crash.txt" file in your Documents folder. This is a small, plain text file, that contains no personal or system information. It shows active processes at the time of the crash, and dump file numbers.

This file can help us to figure out if it was Apex Legends that crashed, or if the crash was due to a software conflict or a hardware fault.

1. Reinstall Apex Legends and Origin or EA Desktop.
  2. Perform a clean boot of your PC to disable background tasks that may be interfering with your game.
  3. Close programs running the background that may interfere with your game.
  4. Repair the game files by going to Origin, Game Library, then finding Apex Legends. Click the Settings icon then click Repair.
  5. Update your graphics driver.
  6. Add Windows Defender Firewall exceptions.
    • Go to: (Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Defender Firewall\Allowed Apps)
    • Make sure to add and check both boxes for Origin's or EA Desktop’s Launcher program.
  7. Set Easy Anti-Cheat priority to low in Task Manager. (You’ll need to do this every time you launch the game if this fixes the issue.)
    • Launch Apex Legends.
    • Open Task Manager by typing CTRL + ALT + DELETE.
    • Go to the Details tab.
    • Find the Easy Anti-Cheat program.
    • Right-click and select Set priority to low.
  8. Cap your frame rate.
    • Go to your Game Library.
    • Right-click on Apex Legends and select Game Properties, then Advanced Launch Options.
    • Add the following to Command line arguments: +fps_max 60
    • You can set it lower or higher than “60” if needed.

So... did you reinstall windows from scratch?

And it's only in apex?

To edit your signature click on your "G" icon in the upper right and then SIGNATURE.

Thank you, just updated my signature. Yes I did a fresh windows install.
The google machine led me here...
I will try this and report back, today I got crash and reboot even with limited FPS so I'm kinda sad lol.

Back