• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New playstation 3 info. it will seriously blow your mind

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dguy6789 said:
No it didnt. The Dreamcast had a single 200Mhz 64/128 Bit hybrid custom chip.

Was that the PowerVR or did it have two chips as in 1 CPU and 1 GPU?

Just curious, all I know is that it has a PowerVR chip in it.

Robrules18 said:
I think between a combination of sony exaggerating the specs and technology catching up y the time they releases this will make it no better than a mediocre PC. I imagine a 400 price point too. If i recall correctly the N64 was 150-200 on launch (dont know about PS) and PS2 and XBOX were 300 while GC was 200 (which amazes me since it has better graphics than a PS2 and is almost indetectably worse than Xbox). So it makes snese to go up another 100 for this next generation console (i can just imagine my grandkids buying that "new-fangled device" that will be the PS12 or the GameDodecahedron for what most people buy a car for now a days).

the ps2 was at the same price as the ps1 when it released,, and i think the ps3 will the same or margenlly higher...

OC Noob said:
ps yes, thats $700 at newegg, not with the 50% markup at Best Buy.

Best Buy Blows!!! I can't believe they're still selling strong. It's amazing how many ignorant consumers roam the retail market place.

You people have no faith as I said on the PSP when people said it will cost 600 bucks, sony knows much much more about how to sell a product they also know what poeple can afford they wont sell a system at 600 bucks. Any way I new most of this alreayd all but temps and I think this is awsome. It also comes out after the Xbox 2 and Nintendos Revolution so they have some time to get some power into their system.

I cant see it being too fast if it has to be programmed to do what you want it to do at the moment. I guess load balancing would be nice, when number crunching isnt necessary you can polygon crunch, but it will still be crippled.

azureblu12 said:
should i get the ps3 or the xbox2... thats what im wondering...

If I had to pick today, I would decisively choose to put my money towards Xbox 2.

But, since I don't have to pick today, I'm going to wait and see when there's better information available on the two like actual specs, pricing, expected/known games, etc...

madcow235 said:
I cant see it being too fast if it has to be programmed to do what you want it to do at the moment. I guess load balancing would be nice, when number crunching isnt necessary you can polygon crunch, but it will still be crippled.

I don't think we know enough about it to make that kind of a statement. I'm mean, if it was going to be crippled then why would they even design it that way.

azureblu12 said:
should i get the ps3 or the xbox2... thats what im wondering...

Why does it matter. Its not like you can get either, so you can't make the choice even if you wanted to.

Hmm, no post from overdoze. He was working on this thing at IBM last year. Cell is also technology IBM's throwing at a new line of server chips. I think the plan with the PS3 is that they'd offer a dual core and quad core version so the masses could actually afford the lower end model... I also heard you need to stick it in your fridge because it throws off 100+watts in a ventillation-inhibited console form factor.

They must be damn good chips. Think about: They are so good, that IBM may as well sell its PC business and just make those (and a lot of other stuff it already makes)! I think that says volumes. I think its a good thing. Wouldnt it be cool to buy a computer with a Cell chip and not have to worry about a video processor?

Edit: Also: how would 85C burn down your house? Thats not enough to light things on fire...

In 2006, I would not spend my money on a dual-core apple g5 with a 9800pro that is 3 years old, a.k.a. "ps3."

For 300 bucks? Thats a damn good deal!

1) PS3 is gonna use nVidia stuff

2) I think the Cell is gonna be better than what the G has...

2 chips in a console isnt that uncommon I believe the original PSX had two 32 bit RISC CPUs... while N64 touted the single 64bit chip... personally I thought N64 held its own... until they started jerking people around about the N64DD! Disk Drive which was only released in Japan. Thats about when my PSX(all the final fantasy series) and N64 with a crapload of games I think of just my stuff it was $1300 total in video games so thats why I bought a Ps2... did what my old psx did plus played PS2s AND DVDs... which was a big deal at the time, so thats why I spent my moola on it.

Thats what wins people over is extra features and backwards compatibality as was said earlier in the thread.

Ill have to hand it to Nintendo though for the first part of N64s release EVERY game on N64 ruled they did this by starving the public of games but still they did a good job with quality but a little "too" controlling :-/

These companies make no money on their consoles anyway. It won't be overpriced when compared historically.

Games is where the money is made. Always has been and always will be.

Back