• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New power supply..is this one good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AcidPlayer said:
i'm not bashing know nuttin but he seemes harsh with his advice. it didnt state any advice to me except to forget sli all together wich made me feel like a twit :shrug: . maybe in this case i am but i'm just learning. thanks everyone for the great advice and spider...is the lower priced psu you mentioned is actually better? wow do these company's try to snow people over with there numbers. 600w i would assume is better then 400w but then again your talking about stability and rails and stuff i'm not familiar with as of yet. Boy this is alot harder then it should be..lol. Well if your stated psu for 39.99 will do a better job then my stock and the one i'm suggesting getting then i will give it a try. high hopes as i cant afford to be wrong right now. Sorry know nuttin if i seemed irritated...well thats becuase i am but not at you. thanks everyone for the help..any more imput would be great!

AcidMan :shrug:

My advice to you was to not skimp on the PSU and to forget about SLI with a cheap PSU. To be honest, I don't see the point of buying cheap now, and then having to buy again later. Buying inadequate, overrated PSU's are never a good idea, as they are usually lower in quality, and when pushed, can damage other equipment.

While my advice may have seemed harsh, that was not its intention. A harsher reality would be having your equipment lost/damaged because of a cheap PSU.

SLI 7800GT's require a PSU that can stand up to the rating on its label. You also have to factor in all the other components in your PC. While Athlon64's draw less power than your average Intel, they still require power and exclusively from the +12v rail. 24A as max stated with that particular PSU, is not something I would like to test with my own PC equipment to verify that it can sustain that output.

The Fortron unit should be fine for now but not for SLI 7800GT's. You will eventually need to upgrade this unit to go SLI. The good thing about this unit, is that it will power a 7800GT in single configuration.

I second the vote for the Fortron Blue Storm. I have one and it's both absolutely excellent and damn cheap for it's specifications.

Binny.

AcidPlayer said:
I'm just wondering if this power supply http://www.amamax.com/65atxposusit.html is good enough to handle this plus a second 7800gt SLI in the near future.

Absolutely not - in fact, it will probably barbecue the one you have now somewhere down the road. OEM Leadman/Powmax.

Here's a review of a Powmax 500W for your entertainment: http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/Assassin/Powmax_Assassin.html

My recommendation would be one of the units mentioned in post 13. Good luck to you :thup:

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Absolutely not - in fact, it will probably barbecue the one you have now somewhere down the road. OEM Leadman/Powmax.

Here's a review of a Powmax 500W for your entertainment: http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/Assassin/Powmax_Assassin.html

My recommendation would be one of the units mentioned in post 13. Good luck to you :thup:

I knew it. You see, this PSU wont even hit 300 watts under load before blowing up. LMAO

Thanks for the response OK Wolf. :) Another vote to get a Fortron.

Dom

Doesn't Powmax have like ten different names? I've heard most of them are fire hazards, too.

it's an okay PSU. i had one just like that, except the brand was called Demon. Mine had the same exact design and everything except it was red and black chrome. I bought it for 99 cents though. Haha. Anyways, just a couple weeks ago, it crapped out on me. It couldn't handle my intel 560j anymore, and everytime i did something (watch movies, decode, extract rar files, play games, etc.), my comp. would freeze. i switched to a different one, and everything is a-ok again. ive had it for about a year. i still use it in my other computer which is only an intel northword @ 2.0 so no biggy. but if u want something that will be handle powerful cpu's for a while, then no, this psu sucks.

The Fortron AX400-PN would blow the one you mentioned away, it's a much better value/quality. But if you could just get $10 more you could get the AX450-PN and get a pretty big increase in amperage, mainly on the 3.3 and 5 volt rails though.

ok this is tough for me cause i'm not one to wait but you guys are absolutely right. I'm going to hold of for about 3-4 weeks and get one then. I'm going to put more money into one as i do want it to run sli if that is a route i wish to take and i do want stability. I have put to much into this system to make a stupid error like some of you have stated you have done. I would still like it to be as cheap as possible but i want it to look decent (glass case and most stuff is spiffy looking in it). Just so you dont have to search through the entire thread i'll post what i need to have running on it.

MSI k8n mobo
3500+ oc'd to 2.51
2 gigs talen ddr400 (2x 1 gig sticks)
7800gt oc to 510core 1220mem or there abouts if i can get higher.
lots of fans (six case fans alone)
200gb wd sata HD
Pioneer 16x dvd burner
some tube lighting blue

I know its not top priority but my system is neet looking and i wouldnt mind the psu looking neet if that is possible. In 3-4 weeks i should be able to put about 125 bucks or around there into it. And I do quite a bit of gaming! :cool:

Thanks for helping me from making a mistake

AcidMan :shrug:

AcidPlayer said:
I know its not top priority but my system is neet looking and i wouldnt mind the psu looking neet if that is possible. In 3-4 weeks i should be able to put about 125 bucks or around there into it. And I do quite a bit of gaming!

You have a couple options in that case - OCZ Powerstream 520W or Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF (Sundial Micro has them cheaper than Newegg). Personally I would go with the Zeus, but they'll both do nicely.

Some of the quad 12v units, like the Fortron Epsilons and the other Silverstone Zeus units, will also do the job.

I'm leaning towards the Zeus ST56ZF but apon checkin SundialMicro site i found another one that would look excellent in my case. But I dare not do anything without imput as it looks good to me it may not be. check this one out http://www.sundialmicro.com/Hiper-580Watt-Power-Supply-hpu4b580_1754_629.html and tell me if its any good. That is the look i am looking for and the price is good, it also seems like a legit psu. Please let me know whats up with it.

AcidMan :p

Hiper is decent, but that one is incapable of 580W. The Zeus will eat it alive ;)

The Zeus is Etasis made - the only real competition to it would be something like the PC P&C 510W or equivalent Zippy models.

Ok this one... http://www.sundialmicro.com/SilverStone-Power-560Watt-sstst56zf_1754_593.html i take it is a great buy as you stated OkWolf but i really wish i could get something maybe just a little cheaper. I'm a pain in the *** i know but understand that i really do appreciate this in the upmost possible that appreciation can get :p . But I'm going to go against my better judgement and order it before friday so i can get it early next week. I really really would like to keep it in the 500watt range at least and keep it under 100 bucks if thats possible. you guys suggested the 49.99 units but i am going to sli in the future and want something that wont poop on me. so i might as well get the one thats going to handle now and future upgrades. I am going to upgrade to an fx when there a bit more affordable..or as i research somethin comperable. and sli two 7800gt's also. All this knowledge will be passed someday as i love to help as much as i do learn. thanks again

AcidMan :p

If you want to go SLI, there's not much point grabbing the cheaper Fortrons - they won't handle it. You can get a good SLI PSU for cheap (the Sparkle FSP550PLG-SLI is $85 at eWiz), but good looks will cost extra. The OCZ PS520 and Silverstone ST56ZF are the ones that look good to me so that's what I suggested :)

The new Fortron Epsilons will do it too, but the prices on them are absurd right now.

Back