• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Printer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twist

Ok, It has come time to get a new printer, and i was wondering what I should get.

Idea of what I want:
Not too expensive (~$150-$200 if not less!)
Good color, like photo quality when needed
Good B&W

Last edited:

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
I recomend Canon or Epson. Both are high quality and more reliable than HP or Lexmark.
Before you buy any printer you should price the cartridges, sometimes they are more than the printer:eek:

I have not looked recently, but Canon is known to have $30-$50 rebates on their site. This usually puts a good basic printer in the under $70 price range.:D

OP
Twist

Twist

The Canon i550, or the Epson Stylus C62 looks good for home purposes (like mine!)

what do ya think?

JimmyG

One problem with Epsons is that the print head is permanent in their ink-jet printers. Other manufacturers include the print head with the ink cartridge. This makes the Epson ink cartridges somewhat cheaper. However, beware the moment that your print head gets clogged and the epson head cleaning routine finally fails to unclog it. Then you might as well buy a new printer, because it will cost you more to fix it than to buy new.

palee72

I have a lexmark Z-22. Great printer. Its fast and has good image quality. The only problem I have with it is the price of the cartriages are about US$29 - $32 each. That is $58 - $64 for both. I paid US$60 for the printer. So one has to ask himself, should I get new cart.'s, or a new printer and sell the old one at a loss??

Of course, you can always go the route of refilling the cart.'s, but I haven't had much luck with that... I usually get about 1 maybe 2 refills before they are junk and won't print anymore..

Lets face it.. a printer is a printer. The company makes its $$$ off the supplies that keep that printer working...

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
You should check linux-compatibility of your printer before you buy, too. Even if you don't use linux now, you might at some point, and since printers can tend to live forever ... (I still have my 1996 Canon BJC-620 parallel port ...)

See http://www.linuxprinting.org/ . -- Paul

Ridenow

Sneaky Moderator
How about the Canon i320, it is slower, only 10 PPM, and has lower color resolution, but it has a a rebate which makes the cost $50.

cerberus

i have an epson stylus printer and ive always loved it... if the heads ever do get jammed it never takes more than 2 passes with the head cleaner to do the job.. quality and features are great.. never had a problem