• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Processor Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ront

Registered
Please forgive me guys if this question is not appropiate in this forum, but I know that you guys will know the answer.
Right now, I have an ASUS P4PE MB with a P4 1.8AG OC'd to 2.4G, with 512MB DDR PC2700. I have the lastest BIOS (1005) for the MB which says that it will support the new 800mHZ processors and HT. So for right now if I keep my ram, am I better off getting a P4 2.4C 800MHz or a P4 2.66G 533MHz? Thanks for any help.

Ron

micamica1217

please understand that you "WILL" be OCing you p4pe to 200fsb in order to run a 800mhz cpu...

can your memory handle this?

can your mobo????

I say that if you can't buy a cheap canterwood like the abit IC7 ($152.00) and the best pc3500 memory you can find, then just upgrade your cpu if you must.

you may want to wait a few months and see if prices fall on memory and the mobos...so your final price is not that bad.

you could just buy the IC7 and put in your old cpu and memory and all will work fine.
you'll now have a base to upgrade slowly with...and if you buy an extra stick of memory too, you'll have a performance increase just from running Dual DDR at the same OC.

good luck at what ever you do.

mica

OP
R

ront

Registered
micamica1217, I am feeling pretty dumb here. What do you mean that I will be overclocking my MB? I just got this MB about 3 months ago and with the new BIOS update, I though it would work ok, but maybe I am all wrong. Could you please explain more? Thanks.

Ron

TC

Senior Seti Addict
What he's saying is that the 845PE chipset doesn't officially support 200FSB aka 800FSB chips according to Intel, but some manufacturers have tested and decided that the board is reliable enough to offer that option with a bios update.

OP
R

ront

Registered
So then back to my original question, with the MB and ram that I have, am I just better off to get a P4 2.66G 533MHz processor?

Thanks, Ron

batboy

Senior Moment
I think putting a 800 bus CPU in that puppy will be pushing it to much. Certainly if it runs at 200 FSB, there will be very little room for overclocking. If you're happy with the mobo and are on a budget, I'd just get another CPU and sell your old one (PM me if you need to unload that 1.8A). I would recommend one of the C1 stepping 2.4B 533 bus CPUs. Cheaper than the 2.66 and will overclock just as much if not more with the added bonus of having a higher FSB when overclocked (due to the lower multiplier). Lots of folks getting 3.2 to 3.4 gig out of those newer 2.4B CPUs (some are getting even more than that). If you have decent PC2700 RAM, you should be able to take it up to at least 3.0 to 3.1 gig using the 1:1 ratio. More than that you'll need better RAM or use a lower memory ratio. Ok... after crunching the numbers, if you are determined to keep your mobo and RAM, then maybe the 2.66 is the better choice. You can go up to 3.4 gig with it and still use the 1:1 memory ratio.