• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Project. As small as possible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NetDaemon

Registered
hi everyone...A couple of weeks now I try to find some components to build a new computer. The aim is to build it as small as possible so that will be a file server in my network and a lan box. I have the following stuff in mind:

Motherboard : Shuttle MN31N Micro-ATX
Cpu : Athlon 1700 DLT3C (what else. )

I am pretty sure about the above bits...I ll figure out later what memory, hdd, etc.

I am not going to use the agp slot or any pci slots, because the motherboard has geforce4mx onboard (more than enough for me), 6 channel audio by realtek and onboard 10/100 ethernet.

Now...My questions:

1) Is there ANY place in the uk that I can get this motherboard? I can't find it anywhere.
2) As I said I want it as small as possible. Any ideas about a case? I was thinking about making my own plexi case but I think that it will be too difficult.
3) I am planning to watercool it also but in order to keep the size and costs down I was thinking about a 80mm radiator. What do you say? Will it be ok just for the processor? And what radiator?
thermochill 80.1, bim, swiftech 80mm?

Thanks

sirtoby

If you want a small one, why not go mini-itx? The EPIA mobo should suit your needs perfectly for a server box that needs to be small.

You could get a really small mini-itx desktop case to go with that.

Watercooling it would be, IMO, waste of money for a computer that is a server. Just get a good heatsink and a QUIET 80mm fan.. like a 19 dB Papst or something.

If you get the epia you would probably be able to passive cool it...

schismspeak

yeah, I think watercooling that IMO too would be a waste of money to watercool it, get an AX-7 with a 2500 rpm fan which wouldnt be any louder that your PSU fan and it would cool really well.

OP
N

NetDaemon

Registered
I was thinking of something more powerfull than the epia because the pc is also going to be a lan box so I don't think that mini-itx would suit my needs. As far as w/c is concerned I quit the whole idea as soon as I finished the previous post because I realised the same thing: it doesn't worth the money. So...any ideas about micro-atxs?

ardent

I have been having similar thought of building a small box for the wife.....I like the shuttle rigs, but was wondering if there was anyway of doing it cheaper. So far, I havent found a way of doing it cheaper.....I will persevere tho :p