• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PSU = 30% faster boot! Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whew those are long boot times. My wifes 2.4Ghz P4 laptop with 256Megs of ram boots faster than that. Heck my old celeron 533A boots into XP faster than any of those. There is something terrably wrong with ur boot times.

off topic but...
:eek:omg that means my c2d @ 3.2ghz is full of sh*&^t?
it takes more than 2.5mins(prob 5mins) to fully finish booting, according to Breeze and my definition of boot time anyways. I keep my system very clean, no fancy tool bars, no themes, just classic style with all fancy features turn off. Even a fresh windows would take a minute from pressing pwr button to usable state.

I wonder what responders definition of boot time is... can't be the same as ours.

edit: I just timed my machine and it took 2mins 20sec. So my guesstimate was off by abit.

When I talk of "bootup" I'm talking from the time I turn on the computer to the time EVERYTHING is up and loaded and drive activity stops, which is usually after my Yahoo widgets load up. I've got tons of (useless?) crap loading on this system (over 60 processes running after boot is finished!). I agree it's a long time, and I'm sure if I took out a lot of these services and applets it would be faster. The A7N8X system is still using an ATA boot drive and I tried moving my OS to SATA but found it impossible to do without reinstalling the whole OS (and all its software...) from scratch.

FYI, the C2D in my sig boots up in about 30 secs. It's my work system and I keep it lean and mean: there's less than 25 processes running after boot is complete.

I find Windows XP desperately tries to be "fast" at bootup by bringing up the desktop way before every applet and service is up and running, so I don't count boot up as time to the desktop.

At any rate, none of this relates to the question of why, all other things being equal, a boot would be faster with a better power supply...

Last edited:
well for me between when i push the power button and when i can use my machine I have to log on, so that affects things obviously

also stupid ahci device enumeration takes too damn long

i'd guess that set to auto log on and turning off ahci my machine would take about 1 maybe 1:30 to boot though

Jeff

vtecdriverjz4.jpg

lol

Takes me about a minute from the time I hit the power button to the time I get to my desktop. But most of that time is the Vapochill cooling down before it allows the system to power on :) There are so many things that you can do to get it to boot faster but from the sounds of it he wants all those applets loading on boot. To each their own :)

Back