• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PSU!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atomic ferret

As the title says I'm in the market for a new PSU.

I've got these parts laying around, but I will be upgrading to an i5 or i7 this summer:
e8400
Rampage Formula
4gb Gskill

I'm looking for a fully modular PSU to make sleeving easier and cleaner. I've had my eye on the 750W Silverstone Strider ($125 @ ZZF)that from what I've read is a solid unit. My only concern is in upgrading. I like the idea of having a beefy unit on hand that could handle any potential upgrade, like the 1000W Strider (~$230), but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cash.

Are there any other solid contenders that I'm overlooking?

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
As the title says I'm in the market for a new PSU.

I've got these parts laying around, but I will be upgrading to an i5 or i7 this summer:
e8400
Rampage Formula
4gb Gskill

I'm looking for a fully modular PSU to make sleeving easier and cleaner. I've had my eye on the 750W Silverstone Strider ($125 @ ZZF)that from what I've read is a solid unit. My only concern is in upgrading. I like the idea of having a beefy unit on hand that could handle any potential upgrade, like the 1000W Strider (~$230), but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cash.

Are there any other solid contenders that I'm overlooking?

AF,

Check the classifieds here. There are quite a few good power supplies for sale by some great sellers.

vgta88

hmm well I'm just gonna suggest you get an efficient model since your setup might only use 300 w max fully loaded. Older psu's aren't efficient sub 50% load so you'd need an efficient 1000 watt psu underloaded. i guess you have room for 300 watts or more, sounds like a quad gpu system.

i remember a stickied thread for psu s, try looking for it.

OP
atomic ferret

atomic ferret

Here's my problem with Corsair PSUs: the ATX cable isn't modular. I've gotta say, it really makes sleeving more difficult. I've read nothing but great reviews about Corsair's PSUs, but after lots of experience sleeving, it just really isn't fun.

On a side note: why do few manufacturers offer fully modular PSUs? Is it that much harder to make the main ATX cable modular as well?

J-O_S-H

Here's my problem with Corsair PSUs: the ATX cable isn't modular. I've gotta say, it really makes sleeving more difficult. I've read nothing but great reviews about Corsair's PSUs, but after lots of experience sleeving, it just really isn't fun.

On a side note: why do few manufacturers offer fully modular PSUs? Is it that much harder to make the main ATX cable modular as well?

It's because making the ATX cable modular reduces the quality of the output ever so slightly.

Also they know that you are going to use it so There isn't really much point making it modular.

RollingThunder

There you go Ferret:

OW's new listing and it's just what you are looking for, priced unbelieveably and better than from the manufacturer:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628992

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
OW's new listing

I just wish the Antec TPQ 1200 had survived to see the classifieds :(

But that's what the post reassembly test is for - to catch the ones that didn't go back together properly. And it sure caught that one. Got a free light show for Christmas :D

RollingThunder

I just wish the Antec TPQ 1200 had survived to see the classifieds :(

But that's what the post reassembly test is for - to catch the ones that didn't go back together properly. And it sure caught that one. Got a free light show for Christmas :D

No photos, or couldn't you hold the camera and fire extinguisher at the same time? :D

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
I wasn't expecting it to blow - I had my back to the thing when it went. It did 1kW for about a couple minutes, and then blew the PFC transistors one by one. One of the primary caps had the casing blown off in one spot.

Too many SMD devices around those transistors on the underside. I must have killed one while trying to get the heatsink out. That's why I stopped the disassembly before I got to the secondary - too many parts to work around. Guess I didn't stop soon enough :(