• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New pump need to know what you all think

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocerguy

Registered
I just bought a Danner 500 GPH pump. It says it is good for 10.5 feet of dynamic head. It runs on 45 watts. Need to know if this pump will be sufficient for a closed w/c system running the parts in my sig?

Last edited:

altec

polka dot ninja
If it pushes 500GPH, I'm sure it will be fine. The Ehiem is a really good pump and I think it is in the 300GPH range.

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Let's see, I have used and continue to use both 250 and 350 Danner pumps. Have used the same two pumps for the last couple of years and they have yet to fail. Seems to me cost was around $39 each (though I find my memory failing me as of late). Each was used seperately to power a 6 foot bong on both 3/8 and 1/2 lines as well as split lines. My conclusion has been that the purchase of the 350 was unnecessary as the 250 could handle my needs. Now, as to whether or not a Danner 500 would be enough pump..........................:)

JML

Local stores always sell pumps WAY over priced. $80 is twice the price you would pay for a mag drive 5 if you bought it online, but seeing as you can get it for $40, yes that is a good price.

If the only thing you are running is a single waterblock, 500gph is a bit overdoing it

OP
ocerguy

ocerguy

Registered
I am thinking of running a cpu block, nb block and gpu block. Do you still think it would be overkill JML?

Epox

Registered
ocerguy said:
I just bought a Danner 500 GPH pump from my girlfriends work for $40 but it is normally an $80 pump. It says it is good for 10.5 feet of dynamic head. It runs on 45 watts. Need to know if this pump will be sufficient for a closed w/c system running the parts in my sig?

OMG, why would you BUY the pump before asking will it work... :rolleyes:

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Re: Re: New pump need to know what you all think

Epox said:

OMG, why would you BUY the pump before asking will it work... :rolleyes:

It's okay, he lucked out and got the Danner. Besides, since his gf works there, it'd be easy to return....
I love the pump, you will too.

OP
ocerguy

ocerguy

Registered
Because I can always exchange the pump for another one. I don't have everything else for it yet so I can always exchange it for a smaller or bigger pump if I need to. So far I am planning on running all the dangerden blocks, the maze 3 for cpu, the z block for the north bridge and the radeon9700 pro block for my 9500 pro card. also if anyone can suggest a rad or heater core for my particular setup that would be great. I forgot to add that I plan on running a series parallel set where I run from the pump to the cpu then from the cpu parallel to the gpu and nb then to the heater core/radiator then back into the pump

Last edited:

altec

polka dot ninja
Go to a junkyard, rip a heatercore out of an old car, clean it, throw some barbs on it, make a shroud, and you are ready to go for very little money.

TyRex

I wish I could walk in and buy a mag 5 for 40 bucks............my mag 2 does a great job though for 30 bucks, you got a great deal on a great pump

Epox

Registered
altec will always be the one to tell that your best option is to visit the dump...

DodgeViper

I am suprised that nobody made mention that this pump introduces 45 watts of energy to the system. When choosing a pump it's a balancing act between GPH, HEAD, BLOCK, RADITOR, AIRFLOW, FITTINGS and PUMP.

A smaller pump (GPH) may yeild better cooling without the watts be added to the system. Plus remember very few pumps produce the GPH that they say that they do.

Last edited:

glass

you'll be fine if you got enough cooling on the water(good enough rad/hcore with enough airflow.. which might not be much actually).

DodgeViper

I use an Ehiem 1250 it has an out put of 317 GPH @ 28 watts. Now the block I use does not allow the amount of water that this pump can deliver to flow through the block. Chances are I could drop to a lower GPH pump with higher head and lower my system temps.

Last edited:

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
the 350 puts out 35 watts, 10 watts isnt that much of a difference considering that not everything has 0% efficiency, but if it did, then 35 watts would be the output, but not necessarily go into the water. it could go out the pump casing and make the pump slightly warm.

while leaktesting my 350, the pump casing got a little warm, not hot or anything, but when I started up the fan, it got nice and cool and nothing noticeable.

Jon

DodgeViper

Make sure that you leak test the pump. Danner pumps seem to leak and need RTV to seal them. Their O-ring design needs to be updated. My first pump was the Danner 500 and it went back for a refund, but that was a year ago, maybe Danner has made changes..................