• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new purchase and a little concerned

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

usmc362

Registered
Hi, My rampage vi apex had a dead dimm slot (no bent CPU pins) I sent it into the repair facility but they returned it to me unrepaired because it was out of warranty and they wanted MSRP to send me a replacement. $430+tax and shipping. So I bought a used rampage vi extreme. It looks like it's brand new; I paid $379 for it. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is the 1x4 pin and 1x8 pin connectors. The apex had 2x8 pins. I'm running a 7980XE and a custom CPU and both GPUs water loop hooked up to a water chiller. I used to be able to hit 5.1x18 stable with the apex now I wonder if the extreme can pull that off. I posted some pics of the extreme I have coming in. Thanks for any comments.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Depends how much power you were using. I doubt it will be an issue unless under LN2 but you are sub ambient. They only go to CPU power so don't worry about the GPUs. According to this site: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html, 4 pin = 192W and 8 pin = 336w, so lets just round down to 150W and 300W for the sake of easy math as well as margin of error. If you were feeding 450W or less to the CPU on the old board, then a 8 pin + 4 pin should be sufficient. If you wish to exceed 450W (remember this is CPU alone, nothing else), then dual 8 pins may be required.

Back