• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED New Radiator. Do I need to return it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kasey

I just received my order from frozen cpu. This is the radiator I got: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...uminum_Enclosure_-_White.html?tl=g59c673s2154

There are two things i noticed. First, there are many bent fins (on the edges) just a few in the center. Looking around it seems bent fans aren't a big problem unless there many of them. I'm just trying to figure out what consists of many. There are about 5-7 total that is in the center pieces. However, on the short edges it looks like almost all of them are bent in some funny way.
image(2).jpeg

My other concern was the rust like color. but I have found that is probably due to the paint being thin on the inside so performance isn't diminished much from paint being too thick. However, like the fin thing, different places say different things about the rust color.

I've searched the How-to's section for proper radiator inspection but couldn't find anything. If there is one please link it to me :D . Thanks.

BugFreak

The light paint on the fins is to help cooling and most radiators will look that way. Too much paint could impact cooling so they just mist the paint on the fins. Your fans will cover it up. As for the bent fins that is personal preference as long as it doesn't leak. I'm sure if you call Frozencpu they will work with you but again fans will cover up any defects so personally I wouldn't worry about them as long as it work properly. Just do a very thorough leak test. I run my leak test for 24 hours and with that one I might run a little longer. Make sure to move it around, shake it, etc to make sure nothing is going to drip out of there.

marjamar

I'm a commercial coatings contractor and do all types of specialty/technical coatings. What you have is a improperly prepared part that was improperly coated. Might very well be the "standard" for radiators, but it isn't done correctly regardless. I guess it depends on what you ordered .vs what you received. If this is what you were expecting to receive, then you got what you paid for. If not, you should ask someone why you didn't get what you expected.

-Rodger

hollywood96

yes the light coating of paint is done to not diminish any cooling potential in the fins. its not done "improperly" its done purposely so they have just enough paint to make it look nice through the cracks but keep it light enough so it doesnt become a transfer material. +1 on the leak testing.
To maximize the cooling power Alphacool has invented a complicated painting system where only the radiator is painted, the fins only get a very light coating. Therefore the fins are not black but may look a little red. That is not a quality issue but a technical improvement to give you the best cooling power possible
statement on the product page for a radiator. all companies do this.

JeremyCT

Marketing spin. Any coating on the metal reduces heat transfer. A light coat means you have the least reduction compared an unpainted surface as feasible. That's different than actually increasing performance compared to the unpainted material. It's simply higher than fins that are fully painted. If there were a coating that increased heat transfer you'd see if being used on the block surface of CPU and GPU blocks.

gldndragn

Registered
Given what I see, the machining of the fins was not done correctly. Looks like the "cutting head" did not cut the fins out all the way. I would contact Frozen CPU, send an email explaining the problem, and include the pic you posted here. Ask them for an RMA, and have the unit replaced. Right away. Don't use it at all.

hollywood96

imo its all soldered on well its just some real ****ty cuts at the end. test for leakage and if there is none you should be fine. out of the like 500 fins on that thing if two arent soldered on perfectly or cut nicely i dont think its going to kill your performance all that much.

OP
K

Kasey

Thank you all for your replies. It seems the problem with the fins is still back-and-forth with "no problem at all" and "return it asap". So I am taking the safe route and have contacted FrozenCPU for an RMA.

Thanks again.