• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new rads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's much better. Still in the low/mid FPI. Won't take much advantage of your high cfm fans (don't know which ones you are using though...).

im using yate loon efb 1212she fans on a fan controller so they are variable speed, been looking at the alphacool radiators as well. cant decide between the ek or alpahcool radiators. the alphacool radiators dont seem to have a heavy coating of paint over the radiator fins.

does anyone have any experience using these rads http://www.performance-pcs.com/aquacomputer-airplex-modularity-system-280-mm-copper-fins.html
been considering purchasing a couple of these for my system. what would be a good pump to use with these? The fans im currently using are high cfm yate loons on a fan controller ( i can get the exact model number later)
Any thoughts or tips would be greatly apreciated thx

I recently purchased one Aquacomputer airplex modularity system 840 (6x140) full copper radiator. Build quality is top notch. I went with one because from my understanding and research they do not use solder flux meaning no more flux ending up in your blocks even though one has flushed their rads it still can release flux over time. the AMS does not have this issue (you still need to flush it regardless to get rid of all the manufacturing deposits) Ive also done some research on how it cools compared to the competition some reviews state it does decently while others tell its a great rad one of the best there is. Furthermore i went to german wc forums and those that do have this rad are very pleased. The rad is optimized for very low rpm fans from 500rpm to 800rpm. Also the AMS rad is rather restrictive on par with HWL GTX rads. Depending on your pump i suggest a D5 and your amount of blocks mine will be a cpu and gpu so the D5 should be a good to go. I still need to wait before my upgrades arrive so i can test this monster rad. I do suggest using this rad with Push/Pull config if you ever consider buying this.

Pro's

Excellent build quality.
Clean inside no solder flux since it is a round tube radiator.
Optimized for low rpm fans so good for sillent pc.

Medium

Feedback on reviews are diverse some say decent performing while others are very pleased in their reviews. And user feedback are mostly very positive including comparing them to tradiational rads which the AMS performed better (user feedback). Note here do not get confused with the Aquacomputer Radical rads.

Cons

Is rather restrictive.
Expensive
Heavy
Does not scale well the higher your rpm fans go

If AMS is not an option for you you might want to check out HardwareLabs rads specialy HWL SR2 MP low restriction and optimized for both low rpm and high rpm fans and scales well meaning you can use high rpm fans without no problem. Hardwarelabs also makes one of the cleanest rads out there as always flush your rads properly before use.

Last edited:
OP, if you don't mind giving us the basics or a run down why you need this particular sized radiator, a PC list of components including water cooling and how much research if any have you done so far will help us determine where you stand.

OP, if you don't mind giving us the basics or a run down why you need this particular sized radiator, a PC list of components including water cooling and how much research if any have you done so far will help us determine where you stand.
im currently in the process of building a new pc, im going with a core i7 6700k, asus maximus extreme viii mobo, 32 gigs of kingston hyperfury x memory, gtx 980. i know that aquacomputer airplex may be a bit overkill, i just like the way it looks, looks like it can dissapate a lot of heat, i could be wrong tho, ive been doing research on radiators all day, but i think i need to do a bit more research, kind of rusty on my watercooling knowledge, havent built anything for about 5 years. this rad is for my gpu loop so i may just go with a regular and do some more research on the aquacomputer rads and purchase one for a future build

lawshadow do you have any links for the pumps that you mentioned to use with that particular rad, would like to check them out. thx

I recently purchased one Aquacomputer airplex modularity system 840 (6x140) full copper radiator. Build quality is top notch. I went with one because from my understanding and research they do not use solder flux meaning no more flux ending up in your blocks even though one has flushed their rads it still can release flux over time. the AMS does not have this issue (you still need to flush it regardless to get rid of all the manufacturing deposits) Ive also done some research on how it cools compared to the competition some reviews state it does decently while others tell its a great rad one of the best there is. Furthermore i went to german wc forums and those that do have this rad are very pleased. The rad is optimized for very low rpm fans from 500rpm to 800rpm. Also the AMS rad is rather restrictive on par with HWL GTX rads. Depending on your pump i suggest a D5 and your amount of blocks mine will be a cpu and gpu so the D5 should be a good to go. I still need to wait before my upgrades arrive so i can test this monster rad. I do suggest using this rad with Push/Pull config if you ever consider buying this.

Pro's

Excellent build quality.
Clean inside no solder flux since it is a round tube radiator.
Optimized for low rpm fans so good for sillent pc.

Medium

Feedback on reviews are diverse some say decent performing while others are very pleased in their reviews. And user feedback are mostly very positive including comparing them to tradiational rads which the AMS performed better (user feedback). Note here do not get confused with the Aquacomputer Radical rads.

Cons

Is rather restrictive.
Expensive
Heavy
Does not scale well the higher your rpm fans go

If AMS is not an option for you you might want to check out HardwareLabs rads specialy HWL SR2 MP low restriction and optimized for both low rpm and high rpm fans and scales well meaning you can use high rpm fans without no problem. Hardwarelabs also makes one of the cleanest rads out there as always flush your rads properly before use.

what fans would you recommend using with the aquacomputer modular rad

what fans would you recommend using with the aquacomputer modular rad

In regards of your question about what radiator fans to use? Well this vary but generally look at fans who have high pressure. Personally ive done my research and my choice will be (note here these are 140mm fans)

Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPRO PK2 (there are 120mm version of this fan)

https://www.amazon.com/Noiseblocker-NB-BlackSilentPro-140mm-Ultra-Quiet/dp/B002UJKRCU

Review on various 140mm radiator fans which the above fan is placed at nr 1.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=199499

There are however other good fans to chose from Noctua, EK, Corsair i went with Noiseblocker because it has been developed with water coolers from Germany wanted to have a good radiator fan noiseblocker asked for feedback with the water cooling community in Germany namely www.Hardwareluxx.com. The result is the PK-2 fan. You also get allot of accessoires with the fan.

If you really want more feedback on which brand of fan to use on rads i suggest making a new thread and see what people suggest you make sure what type of fan you want ie silence, performance etc.

I also suggest using a proper fan controller which you can connect 2 fans per channel like the "Lamptron FC-5 Fan Controller 4x 30W Channels Black V2" so you can adjust speed to 500rpm - 800rpm.

If you plan on water cooling both your cpu and gpu that rad you posted on your first link (240 rad) won't cut it i would suggest go with a quad radiator atleast.A tripple would do but you want high rpm fans and this means more noise. The more rad space you have the lower rpm fans is needed and also more heat is dissipated. Here is the version you might be interested in its a quad rad: (make sure its a SINGLE circuit)

http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=2886

Now it depends on your budget other good radiator brands are XSPC radiators ( i used a XSPC RX480 for cpu and gpu with great results) and HardwareLabs radiators HWL from my research also makes one of the cleanest rads and are performing really well ive posted the name in my previous post.

These are cheaper solutions but cools great!:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc-rx480-quad-fan-radiator-v3-black.html

The HardwareLabs Black Ice SR2 MP 480

Had also doubts about which pump to use and the feedback i got is go with a D5 pump with top+res since that pump is reliable, powerful, and silent for example this :

http://www.performance-pcs.com/alphacool-vpp655-single-edition.html

And then use a good top + res for example:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-140-revo-d5-pwm-incl-pump

Some people used the D5 with like 4 water blocks and 2 rads without problems and still have decent flow.

From what i gather its best to buy the top and reservoir separate.

There are some anecdotes from people using EK D5 pumps which where noisy while the Alphacool D5 where very silent and i can confirm the Alphacool are silent ive tested it and pretty silent at setting 3.

Another pump if your planning to cool more then your cpu and gpu and want to add more blocks is a high pressure pump like the DDC or more specific a Swiftech MCP50X very good for high restriction setups but do not know the reliability for prolonged time generally a D5 pump is best can go on for years and years. That to me is important plus the D5 gets its cooling from the coolant while DDC pumps needs external cooling.

Lastly went with the AMS rads because i was done with flux crap ending up in my blocks even though the AMS might cool decent as some reviews tell us bit confusing since other reviews tell us it performs greatly in anyway i just went with it with a monster AMS rad 840 (6 x 140) which should allow my setup to run at very low rpm fans 500rpm range. The D5 should have no issue with this albeit restrictive rad plus 2 water blocks at all since some people used the D5 with so many blocks and rads without issue see link:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1606165/whats-the-most-you-have-cooled-on-a-single-d5-pump

Whatever you do flush your rads before use any rad that is.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
NOpe, but $189 for 1x280 rad, as thick as it can be doesn't sound reasonable, lol! Better going with high FPI standard thickness 420 radiator: It will cost you 1/2 of the price and you'll have better perf than with those i believe.

Review is real bad:
http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/05/18/aqua-computer-airplex-radical-2-copper-radiator-review/6/

Incorrect what you have linked to is the review of the Aquacomputer AIRPLEX RADICAL 2 copper radiator. What OP has posted was the Aquacomputer airplex modularity system 280 mm.

So

AIRPLEX RADICAL

vs

airplex modularity system

When you visit the same link on a nother page:

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/05/18/aqua-computer-airplex-radical-2-copper-radiator-review/5/

You can see its performance with 750rpm look at the AMS and NOT the Radical...

This and also the review from Martinlabs point out its a decent rad but performs good on low rpm fans. It scales BAD on high rpm fans and thats a fact sadly...There are better brands of rads and thats also a fact.

However ive visited foreign sites which reviewed the AMS rad and they were positive. Ofcourse a rad like HWL or XSPC performs better i do see that. Then we have user feedback and pretty much all are very happy with the results.

Its more for flux less rad, looks, build quality and depending on were you find reviews it performs decent to really good. This is why i went with a 840 AMS rad much more space to dissipate heat. But its pricey. If Op does not want to spend money on a quad AMS rad which is very understandable. Best for him to look at XSPC rads or HWL rads. Alphacool or EK rads i wont touch heard to many negative feedback on them more so then with xspc or hwl, not saying they are bad its the leaks and telling their costumers not to flush the rads like EK. It seems that Alphacool has improved their cleaning process of their rads lately.

i think im going to go with that four fan one you linked for my cpu, so if i decided to watercool the mobo later i can, the problem i have with my current cpu watercooling loop is it has those high speed fans and its a heater core. i filushed it yesterday and theere was a lot of gunk inside it, theres no corrosion just gunk. i dont know if it can be saved or not. i was gonna take it down to my bros shop, he works at a transmission center. and we were gonna see if we could flush it out really good. the thing works prettty good but it would be nice to have something a bit more quiter honestly.

i think im going to go with that four fan one you linked for my cpu, so if i decided to watercool the mobo later i can, the problem i have with my current cpu watercooling loop is it has those high speed fans and its a heater core. i filushed it yesterday and theere was a lot of gunk inside it, theres no corrosion just gunk. i dont know if it can be saved or not. i was gonna take it down to my bros shop, he works at a transmission center. and we were gonna see if we could flush it out really good. the thing works prettty good but it would be nice to have something a bit more quiter honestly.

Only for your cpu???

Thats a waste of money to be honest you might as well go with a AOI cooler for cpu only and save the cash. If you want the AMS rad and are positive you going to cool the GPU as well because cooling your motherboard is not really needed if you have a good case with good airflow. Unless you do some insane overclocks that stresses the VRM on your MB....

Better spend the money on a GPU waterblock in that case get a good quad radiator if you want silent build (360 rad can do with high rpm fans)

Here are more reviews on the AMS rad so you can make a better choice whether or not to go with it:

This one is very positive with the AMS rad its german but you can use google translate or check the charts it explains it self:

http://www.hardwaremax.net/wasserku...puter-ams-480mm-alu-radiator?showall=&start=3

Another one from Bundymania which i had PM contact with tells me that the AMS is one of the best...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1309645/bundymania-user-review-triple-radiator-360-roundup-with-22-rads

and this one is average performance:

https://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1158438

So as i said some say very good some say decent/average unlike user feedback on various forums which tell us very positive feedback. With that AMS rad and very low rpm fans are no problems see above reviews on fan speeds 500 to 800rpm is best and is pretty much dead silent you won't hear them.

That heater core is similar with the AMS rads also uses round tubes but with no solder flux used none of it. The gunk you have issues with the heater core can be flux...i can't tell since i never used one if doubtful i would clean it the best you can without damaging it. Im sorry but i can't be more of a help with heater cores.

Lastly please do realise these AMS rads are not cheap you get what you pay for and here is the kicker i ordered the AMS 840 rad and LITERALLY all you get is the rad NO SCREWS nothing only the bare rad thats it!
Can your case handle this rad? Meaning is there room for a quad rad? Personally i never bother with internal placement of rads i always mount it external good for fresh air for both the outside rad and internal pc.But i can imagine you want the rad inside it for looks saves space.

Last edited:
This thread is ridiculous with the exception of the good information given by shadow, I would never recommend or purchase a 120.2 radiator for $200. That's just insane. I would use $100-$150 on a good named brand like Alphacool, HWL, EK, XSPC and call it a day. With the rest of the funds I'd look for fittings, pumps, blocks, etc. This is crazy to spend that much on a radiator because it might use higher quality materials or the cost of completion is alot higher than everyone else.

I like Aquacomputer. I have their Aquaero 6 XT controlling and monitoring my system. Its a fine piece of work let me tell ya but I would never purchase their overpriced radiators in my eyes. They do have quality stuff but everyone else has. Every radiator, flux or not will have some type of dirt or debris in them. All need to be cleaned no matter what.

Well from looking at bundymanias roundup it looks like the alphacool nexxxos ut60 would be the way to go, should i go with a dual/triple/ or quad radiator? im leaning more towards the 140mm fans, seems those fans cover more surface area. any thoughts would be greatly apreciated. thx again

Well from looking at bundymanias roundup it looks like the alphacool nexxxos ut60 would be the way to go, should i go with a dual/triple/ or quad radiator? im leaning more towards the 140mm fans, seems those fans cover more surface area. any thoughts would be greatly apreciated. thx again

Like i said if you want to cool your cpu and gpu and want silence with low rpm fans go with a good quad rad the below will do you very good, if you want triple radiator sure but use relative high rpm fans on push/pull config if you want silence then go with a quad and use low rpm fans. If you only want to cool your cpu a good 240 rad will do you fine. Really there is no need to water cool your motherboard. Either wc your GPU or get your self a 240 rad for cpu only. Or better yet a good AIO cpu cooler,

The quad 140 fans:
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 560mm

The quad 140 fans:
HardwareLabs Black Ice SR2 MP560

The quad 120 fans:
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 480mm

The quad 120 fans:
HardwareLabs Black Ice SR2 MP480

And lastly one of the best performing radiators and also relative cheap you can't go wrong with this one ive used it my self and im very happy with it its a GOOD brand and is cheap you can get one for 99 usa dollar.
XSPC RX480 Quad-Fan Radiator V3 - Black (120mm fans). Get this one and call it a day...or get the 240 version for cpu only.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc-rx480-quad-fan-radiator-v3-black.html

Just as GTX said flush every rad properly before use this is vital for having a clean running system. The main pro for an AMS rad is once you flushed it there should be no flux even on the long run...i hope otherwise i just wasted good money.

Last edited:
Back