• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ram not detected

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaby's Lake

Hello,

I've been having a really stubborn problem trying to upgrade my ram from 8gb to 16gb. It seems half my ram is not detected by the motherboard or windows (cpu-z detects it). I should note that the motherboard shows the extra ram in SPD.

My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4KngZ8

Lets get the basics out of the way:
-The ram is from the same manufacturer, same model number (however the secondary timings seem to be a bit different).
-I'm on a 64-bit Win 7 pro.
-I've mix and matched the new ram with the old ram in each DIMM slot. They work together fine up to 8gb, but refuse to go any higher.
-I've flashed bios.
-I've cleared CMOS.
-The new ram works fine using 2 sticks or 1 stick (paired with 1 old stick).
-Tried playing around with DRAM voltage and reference cycle to no avail.

I'm at a loss at this point. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can give me a hint.

Do you have the latest bios installed?

I hope this is not one of those rare situations where the memory is not fully compatible with the bios or chipset. And sometimes we don't see this show up until you try to install higher amounts of RAM. Is your RAM on the board manufacturer's QVM list? QVM? Did I get that right?

For future reference, on this forum we prefer system information to be included in the post or attached to it rather than linked. If you need to attach a pic use the built-in forum tool that can be accessed with the Go Advanced button at the lower right corner of any new post window.

Try adding .1V to SystemAgent (SA) voltage.

- - - Updated - - -

The two memory kits listed in the build are identical. Why would any of the timings be different?
Good point. They shouldn't be...otherwise it's not the same. Please post pictures of model numbers as well as what SPD says of the two different sticks so we can see..

Back