• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New RBX, these temps sound right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

govern1

Registered
I have had this setup running for about a week now. With the stuff listed in my sig, do temps of 33-35c at idle and 37-38c at load sound right? Ambient is about 18c. I'm hearing that the temps reported by this board can be a little different than other boards with similar setups (using bios 20).
I have a probe from my DigitalDoc 5+ touching the corner of the cpu. It shows about 24-24.8c idle and 26c at full load.
Someone reassure me, because me next thought is to take the block apart and check the install of the accelerator plate and make sure that it is correct.
Any help is appreciated.

What's the CPU voltage?

Got anything to compare it to, using the exact same motherboard?

Even the same types of motherboards can vary wildly from board to board on the sorts of temperatures that they will report.

The Digidoc probe is reporting useless information.

Do you have any air-flow around the socket area? The heat from the MOSFETs will feed back and warm up the CPU probe if they are not cooled.

CPU voltage is at 1.67 volts. The mosfets are not cooled at all. There is some airflow through the case, but nothing specifically directed at the CPU socket.
I do realize that the DigiDoc 5 is not the most accurate means of measuring temps, but it does give me a reference point, when comparing to the onboard temps, as to if anything happens out of the ordinary. I don't have an onboard monitoring program running in the background.
As a reference, I don't remember exactly what the MCW-5000A I had before was running at, but I don't think it was much different than these temps.
Could it just be the different bios' for this board? My summer temps (about 10c higher) with the MCW-5000A were only 1 degree higher than this. But I was probably running a different bios then.

A quick update. I flashed to an older bios (16), which was the one I was using this summer. It now says that idle temps are 25-26c. I guess that explains a lot as far as my temps from last summer to now.

I do realize that the DigiDoc 5 is not the most accurate means of measuring temps, but it does give me a reference point, when comparing to the onboard temps, as to if anything happens out of the ordinary. I don't have an onboard monitoring program running in the background.

i think he ment because you said it was touching the corner of the CPU.. and not the DIE... if it was touching only the corner of the PGA it's self than it would be reporting usless info.

I meant the DIE, not the PGA, my bad. Like I said, dios 16 and earlier read 26c idle, bios 17 and later read 33-35c at idle. DigiDoc 5+ with a probe touching the DIE, 24.4-24.8c.

Yeah, I believe the NF7-S has a tendency to report pretty high temps. Ealier BIOS revisions (around 10-12 or so, I think) reported fairly low temps. Some of the later BIOSes have increased the reported temps. It's kinda depressing, actually. :)

All the way to bios 16 (I tested out 14-20 tonight. Gotta love FlashMenu!) the temps were lower. 17 and higher, they went up about 9 degrees celsius. Yes, depressing, even though you know nothing has physically changed, just the way the temps are reported to us. But still, depressing.:(

Sorry to be off topic but if you've got a temp sensor touching the edge of the DIE (AMD) it should report a pretty accurate temp? I ask because I got the NF7 mobo too and it's still using the stock BIOS and my temps with a cr@ppy Volacno 7+ are 37 idle, 44 load which seem abit low compared with what other people get..

Back