• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig! let me know what you guys think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Korrupted420

Last edited:

Kuroimaho

I have 2 550s unlocked one at 3G one at 3.5G, I would tweak ram and NB speeds first and GPU. I see diminishing returns above 3.5G no game needs it so I don't bother yet.

Of course if not for 24/7 but for the fun then by all means break 4g.

Last edited:

dillinja666

mine was stable right out of the box at 4.0 with nice temps. what cpu cooler are you useing. If you put the specs of your rig in your sig people will be able to help you easier.

try bumping your cpu multiplier to 20, your ht and nb to 2400 and your cpu voltage to 1.45. keep an eye on your temps. if its stable like that try turning down the cpu voltage to 1.4 thats how I hit my 4.0ghz I was ran it 24/7 as much as i could folding and stress tests with no issues.

again though keep an eye on your temps since I dont know what cooler you have on your cpu

QuietIce

Disabled
:welcome: to Overclockers.com!

The OC you have now looks good!

To know if you can go higher we really need to know the load temp on the CPU. Both Prime95 and OCCT are good for that. If you use Prime95 I suggest CoreTemp to monitor the CPU - it has a very small footprint and will show the temp on the task bar. OCCT has it's own temp monitor.
Prime95
OCCT
CoreTemp

If you're running less than 50°C at load then you've got plenty of room left for OC'ing. You should also increase your cpuNB speed (if possible) to 2400-2600 MHz. This may require a little more voltage to the cpuNB as well. Leave the HT Link speed at it's stock 2 GHz setting. Also, as noted above, including your system specs (board, CPU, RAM, video card(s), and PSU) would help us help you. ;)

If you haven't read through Dolk's Guide now is a good time.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=596023

Good luck and keep us posted ... :)

OP
Korrupted420

Korrupted420

Hi everyone, well I included my specs in my sig to answer most of your questions. I have deviled into ocing my 5850 and I stopped at 900/1200 and at 1.187 volts useing msi afterburner, ran GPUTool to check for artifacts then ran Heaven Benchmark v1.0 and everything seems fine. temps were as high as 58c but stayed mostly around 55c.

Hi QuietIce I will do just that and run prime 95 and see what temps I'm getting and further more if everythings alright should I run it for long? say while I'm at work?

OP
Korrupted420

Korrupted420

Ok just ran a few test's....

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8608/p95.jpg

Well I ran prime 95 for aprox 10 mins just to check what temps I was getting and it looks like it goes no higher than 48c.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1594/aftertest.png

Here its interesting, ran a 3dmark vantage benchtest to compare with stock specs and to see how warm the gpu was running. Looks like it hit a max temp of 72c which seems ok? Is there a ap which allows you to monitor and also adjust fan speed for the gpu? MSI has one and it worked good, I liked that you can change what speed the fan is depending on the temp, so i had it set to idle at 40% but when temps would go over 50 or so it would jump up to 60% to cool it off and it would stay around 55c. But as you can see when the fan is just set to 40% it went up to 72c which I think is higher than it should be?

Now as for the score I'll compare stock to oced for you guys to show what the difference is in performance.

Stock: 3dm score: 13254
gpu score: 14006
cpu score: 11414

Oced: 3dm score: 15586 +2332
gpu score: 16747 +2741
cpu score: 12901 +1487

So far I'm happy, wonder what this custom build would be comparable to a store bought pc.

Last edited:

QuietIce

Disabled
With CPU temps no higher than 48°C I'd certainly give 4.0 GHz a shot!

First off, I'd push the cpuNB speed up to 2400 to see if you'll need to adjust voltage for it. There should be a setting in your BIOS for both cpuNB multiplier and cpuNB voltage. If that goes off good then raise the CPU multiplier to 19.5X then 20X - it may be just that easy with that chip. Good hardware makes OC'ing much simpler ... :)