• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig, VERY strange temp readings, many crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sokkan

Registered
Ok, just made a major upgrade to my computer. New Epox 8K3AE mobo, AthlonXP 2000+, 512mb corsair pc2700 cas2 ddr, GF4 Ti4200 128mb and a Chieftec 420W power supply.

I boot up, happy as a... whatever, and get BSODed during WinXP startup. Not so happy anymore. Kind of wondering what the problem is, BIOS readings told me the CPU was at 32C (I'm using a Volcano 9 HSF btw). After fiddling around in the BIOS I finally get Windows to boot successfully. Now for the fun part, MBM5 tells me the CPU is at 89C! The same result is given by the monitoring software bundled with the mobo. Checks BIOS again, and it tells me 35C.

Now I'm a little confused. 3DMark2001 succeeds in completing a benchmark (7755p) and Sandra burns for a good two hours without any problems. Is that really supposed to work when your idle temp is 89C?

Also, the CPU was running at 12.5x100 so I thought I'd tune her up a little. Unfortunately she didn't even want to boot the machine with higher settings. Had to remove her, replace her and start all over again.

I just don't know what to do (yes I am kind of a newbie) and I'm getting pretty desperate... Any help is appreciated :)

*case temp is 22C, at least the BIOS and MBM5 could agree on that*

They have contact, if that's what you mean. I'm also using Arctic Silver II... forgot to mention that.

Sokkan said:
Ok, just made a major upgrade to my computer. New Epox 8K3AE mobo, AthlonXP 2000+, 512mb corsair pc2700 cas2 ddr, GF4 Ti4200 128mb and a Chieftec 420W power supply.

Question.
No mention of replacing your hard drive in the above list. Did you reformat and reinstall Windows, or did you try to use the existing setup that you used with your old equipment? Makes a difference sometimes. If you used the existing setup then try a fresh install.

Al

I'm using the old setup (no format nor reinstall). I did consider it for some time, but to backup all my stuff would take forever. I'm not really a fan of many partitions :) Guess I'll have to do it anyway...

Something I noticed in your initial post is that you're running at 100MHz FSB. The 200+ should be running at 133, check your mobo to make sure you don't (or do) have a jumper that selects 100/133 as defaults.

-Jason

Now running 133mhz FSB. However, Windows readings still says 89C (both idle and stress) while BIOS says 44 idle. Guess I'll just have to live with it :)

Sokkan said:
I'm using the old setup (no format nor reinstall). I did consider it for some time, but to backup all my stuff would take forever. I'm not really a fan of many partitions :) Guess I'll have to do it anyway...

actually, just do a windows repair... it deletes all your system config stuff about your mobo and system components while maintaining all of your installed apps, games, etc. i did it when changing boards and it worked great. rock stable too...

If your temps really were 89C you wouldn't be asking if anything was wrong. You'd be shopping for a new processor.

To conclude; Somehow Windows readings have ended up having a huge offset, for some unknown reason. This is rather annoying.

How do I fix it? :p

just remember to subtract 45

anyways seriously, find a different program like MBM5 or something...

Currently using MBM5. All programs I've tried within Windows get the same readings, all of which are too high.

Back