• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig, will 650w be enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Osnaps

Hello all,

I am building a gaming computer (at least thats the direction I hope Im going in) and Im not sure about the psu. The calculators Ive messed with online seem to think 650w will be ok, but I would like a more definitive answer from those who know.

I saw on yalls list that the Antec Earthwatts 650 made the preferred list ( I was looking at the Antec TP 650, not sure what/if any differences are in the 2)

I am going with an ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 with an AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE Deneb. I am looking at a Radeon HD 6870 for a gpu. 2x 4gb Gskill Ripjaws for ram( i see no point in going for 16gb, but having the option to upgrade it is nice) and a 500gb WD Caviar Black 7200 rpm sata 6gb.

I havent decided yet as to whether or not I want to OC ( if I do it wont be much) or use crossfire ( I think that card should be ok by itself for now).

My question is will 650w be enough and if so would the Earthwatts or TP be better? And if yall have any suggestions to throw my way, Ill be more than happy to take them in :D

Thanks yall!

Hello all,

I am building a gaming computer (at least thats the direction I hope Im going in) and Im not sure about the psu. The calculators Ive messed with online seem to think 650w will be ok, but I would like a more definitive answer from those who know.

I saw on yalls list that the Antec Earthwatts 650 made the preferred list ( I was looking at the Antec TP 650, not sure what/if any differences are in the 2)

I am going with an ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 with an AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE Deneb. I am looking at a Radeon HD 6870 for a gpu. 2x 4gb Gskill Ripjaws for ram( i see no point in going for 16gb, but having the option to upgrade it is nice) and a 500gb WD Caviar Black 7200 rpm sata 6gb.

I havent decided yet as to whether or not I want to OC ( if I do it wont be much) or use crossfire ( I think that card should be ok by itself for now).

My question is will 650w be enough and if so would the Earthwatts or TP be better? And if yall have any suggestions to throw my way, Ill be more than happy to take them in :D

Thanks yall!

Better unit, better price (after MIR), free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Overclock CPU and GPU all you want but you need to decide now if you're ever going crossfire, you'll need a little more for that.

Wow thanks for the quick reply! Im debating the whole crossfire thing, because I feel like why buy 2 if 1 will do the job. I think that the one I mentioned above will be sufficient for at least a year I hope. However if I did crossfire and decided to add another one later on, how much of an increase are we talking? Is crossfiring even worth it? I like the psu you linked and may go with that.

What do you think of this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

Its around the same price w/o waiting for a MIR.

Thanks again!

The Earthwatts 650 PSU is what I have. It's an excellent choice and will provide plenty of power for the components you have listed. Really, unless you are running two very potent video cards at the same time power needs usually are pretty modest.

The Earthwatts 650 PSU is what I have. It's an excellent choice and will provide plenty of power for the components you have listed. Really, unless you are running two very potent video cards at the same time power needs usually are pretty modest.

Wow you guys are quick! :D
They have 2 of the Earthwatts available
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044 a hair cheaper and free shipping

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015 silver certified and not totally sure on the other differences except one being ATX 12V v2.3 and the other 2.2/EPS 12v

Wow thanks for the quick reply! Im debating the whole crossfire thing, because I feel like why buy 2 if 1 will do the job. I think that the one I mentioned above will be sufficient for at least a year I hope. However if I did crossfire and decided to add another one later on, how much of an increase are we talking? Is crossfiring even worth it? I like the psu you linked and may go with that.

What do you think of this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

Its around the same price w/o waiting for a MIR.

Thanks again!

Trents, I don't think that EW has the connectors for crossfire 6870's but otherwise he could run any single card with it.

Osnaps, if you get that 6870 I think you'll forget about crossfire after using it! I don't know the difference between the two 650 Earth Watts.

Agreed, that power supply should easily run 6870's in crossfire. According to Guru3d, 2 6870's matched with an overclocked (3.75ghz) X58 setup only pulls 421 watts at full load from the wall. 6870's are quite efficient.

The psu doesn't have 4 pci-e connectors, but that's easily remedied with the molex to pci-e adapters.

If you decide to only run a single card, it will run any card you can purchase today.

Ok, so if i dont crossfire, either one of those earthwatts should be fine. If I do, will that antec tp 650 be ok? I keep referring back to those because they are in my price range and antec seems to be a solid choice. Thanks yall I have almost made my decision!

Ok, so if i dont crossfire, either one of those earthwatts should be fine. If I do, will that antec tp 650 be ok? I keep referring back to those because they are in my price range and antec seems to be a solid choice. Thanks yall I have almost made my decision!

Osnaps,

If you crossfire 6870's you should be ok. However the "Green" unit is old group regulated technology subject to cross-loading and of lesser quality for crossfire.

I would get this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m1132X509988X52181926d8edc21ca0356e492df7ee33

Thanks a ton guys! Thats the one Im putting an order in for today. I believe these forums just became my personal favorite learning playground :rock:

Back