• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New router issue with PS3..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xantom

I have replaced my old old wireless router with a Linksys WRT610N-RM, and my 2 8 port switches with 2 D-Link DGS-2208 Gigabit Switches. I have 2 desktops, an HP server, 2 PS3's, a network printer, and my TV hard wired. 2 laptops wireless. I have moved my DVD collection/Music library to my server, and I was able to stream my music and movies through my PS3's just fine. However now after installing the new router and switches, I haven't been able to stream movies or music from server to to my PS3's. I can see the files fine, but when I either try to play, or copy them to the HDD of the PS3, I get an error saying that the files are corrupted. A little icon shows up with a crack through the file icon. I tried to shut everything down and bring back up, and I am still getting the same error.

Any ideas are appreciated.

FudgeNuggets

I have replaced my old old wireless router with a Linksys WRT610N-RM, and my 2 8 port switches with 2 D-Link DGS-2208 Gigabit Switches. I have 2 desktops, an HP server, 2 PS3's, a network printer, and my TV hard wired. 2 laptops wireless. I have moved my DVD collection/Music library to my server, and I was able to stream my music and movies through my PS3's just fine. However now after installing the new router and switches, I haven't been able to stream movies or music from server to to my PS3's. I can see the files fine, but when I either try to play, or copy them to the HDD of the PS3, I get an error saying that the files are corrupted. A little icon shows up with a crack through the file icon. I tried to shut everything down and bring back up, and I am still getting the same error.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Try putting the files on a flashdrive or an external usb hard drive and plugging directly into the PS3 to see if they work. The only time I've seen the corrupted message is when the files are encoded with codecs that the PS3 cannot use. You can solve this by either transcoding them or using a mediaserver to do the transcoding for you on the fly.

OP
Xantom

Xantom

Try putting the files on a flashdrive or an external usb hard drive and plugging directly into the PS3 to see if they work. The only time I've seen the corrupted message is when the files are encoded with codecs that the PS3 cannot use. You can solve this by either transcoding them or using a mediaserver to do the transcoding for you on the fly.

Thanks for replying.

They worked perfectly fine before I replaced the router and switches, but I will try this to see what happens.

Any other ideas??

FudgeNuggets

I've been able to see files and not play them before when the sharing wasn't set up correctly on XBMC because the permissions in that thing are weird. The second place I would look is in permissions. Are you just playing the file straight over a networked drive or are you going through a mediacenter like XMBC, Vuze, WMC or some others?

OP
Xantom

Xantom

I've been able to see files and not play them before when the sharing wasn't set up correctly on XBMC because the permissions in that thing are weird. The second place I would look is in permissions. Are you just playing the file straight over a networked drive or are you going through a mediacenter like XMBC, Vuze, WMC or some others?

They are stored on an HP media server. However I was also able to view the Video and listen to the Audio stored on the server, and with WMC on my other PC's. I do not use XMBC or Vuze.

OP
Xantom

Xantom

I transferred files that won't play via the network to a flash drive, they play fine on both PS3's.

OP
Xantom

Xantom

Ok I can now see and play videos from my HP server. I see the windows media player listed for each of my desktops, but still cannot play any media from them...

Any other thoughts...

OP
Xantom

Xantom

Problem Solved

I am streaming again. Looks like it was a permissions issue with my Windows 7 machine and some network settings needed to be reset. Stupid I didn't check these more closely before posting this...

Thanks for all replies!