• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New SATA harddrive not showing up in My Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Panzerknacker

Disabled
Hello,

One of my friends just got a new WD 160gig sata drive, he was using a 180gig IDE drive. So now we have it installed and it shows up in devicemanager under harddrives. We also installed some drivers for the controllers and stuff but the drive does not show up in My Computer. And we messed with the bios as well but didnt help. The mobo is MSI 875P NEO-FIS2R.

Am I overlooking something or should it just work? I tried to search but could not find anything.

Maximouse

Have you partitioned the drive yet?

If not then just boot from the windows cd and use that to partition the drive so XP will recognize it.

Al

FireMogle

Another way to format/partition the drive is Control Panal => Admin Tools => Computer Management. Its a little bit easier unless you want to make it a boot drive.

OP
Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker

Disabled
Ok, I'm formatting it now, thanks for the help! Soooo stupid I did not think about it that it had to be partitioned first :p

Sjaak

Maximouse said:
Have you partitioned the drive yet?

If not then just boot from the windows cd and use that to partition the drive so XP will recognize it.

Al

that can be done much easier by going to the control panel --> system manager --> PC manager --> Storage

Voila, your very own, free, simple and effective windows disk-cruncher :)

[edit] OOPS...hmz ...gotta read better next time...sorry....doublepost :eek: [/edit]