• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New section!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newbie_Doo

Admin Parent
This section is for discussion of Volt Mods. Neither Overclockers.com nor OCForums.com nor InetInteractive endorses or recommends undertaking any process or modification that may be found in this section.

The user is the sole decision maker of whether anything found here is appropriate to his/her own computer system. Proceed at your own risk. :D

N_D

Cool. Does this include changing the voltage on CPUs or does that stay in the CPU section. And what about GPUs? I shall assume the volt mods this will be dissussing will be fans Volt mods.

Arc welder here/ also TIG, MIG and oxyacetylene. :D

Fantastic!
Thanks for adding this area. :)

My own disclaimer for all those interested in volt modding:
Many components can see speed and stability improvements with increased voltage but there IS a price to pay:
Cooling becomes even more critical.
I have literally melted tubing in a water cooled computer and had mobo mosfets desolder themselves due to the heat output of a cpu running @2.2 volt vcore (default 1.75) when I had a freezing issue.
High voltage can make 4 seconds to cooking a cpu seem like a long time....

Memory also needs plenty of airflow when being overvolted: I ran pc2100 @ 3.5 volts for about 6 months with an 80mm fan directly on the ram. 3 volts with no fan and the same ram lasted 30 seconds.

I continue to volt mod to this day- but beware of the risks, folks!!!!!

Awesome

9mmCensor said:
Cool. Does this include changing the voltage on CPUs or does that stay in the CPU section. And what about GPUs? I shall assume the volt mods this will be dissussing will be fans Volt mods.

Unless u do an acutaly modding of hardware i would say.. cpu voltage is not a mod unless you do something to the actual hardware to do it. Probably mostly motherboards, video cards, and psus.

I could write a few and pics of it if anyone wanted
9600 fdd mod, vmem, vgpu
9700 vgpu, vmem, vddq, vref
IS7/IC7 vdimm mods
8rda/+ vdimm and vdd
nf7/s vdimm and vdd
fan voltage mods, but it is very simple
maybe some psu rail mods

Newbie_Doo said:
This section is for discussion of Volt Mods. Neither Overclockers.com nor OCForums.com nor InetInteractive endorses or recommends undertaking any process or modification that may be found in this section.

The user is the sole decision maker of whether anything found here is appropriate to his/her own computer system. Proceed at your own risk. :D

N_D

w00t!!!!!!!!!!!1

What do you say we sticky this? It might be a good idea so some idiot doesn't sue becuase in the process of volt modding he or she blew up their mainboard and electrocuted their cat or something :) Actually there should be just one big disclaimer in the rules if there is not one already.

Back