• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New self build PC would not boot. Newbee.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dewmini

PC Spec:
CPU = i5-4670K
CPU Cooler = Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard = GA-Z87-D3HP (rev. 1.0)
PSU = OCZ zx 850W
Ram = G.SKILL Ares Series 8 GB x2
HHD = 2 tB Seagate HHD x2
GPU = Nvidia GeForce GTX 650TI
Optical Drives = DVDRW x2
Wifi Card = Intel wifi PCI Express card
Case = Cooler Master HAF922

Below are what I have tried so far.
* Front Panel power connector = Fine
* PSU - Paperclip test = Fine
* Reinstalled CPU and CPU cooler to ensure everything is properly installed = Fine
* Removed all cards. Only connected with 2 HDDs, 2 dvd burners, memory card reader, 2 Rams in slot 1 and 3 = No boot
* Removed all cards. Only connected with 1 HDD, 1 dvd burners, memory card reader, 1 Ram in slot 1 = No boot
* Removed all cards. Only connected with 1 HDD, 1 dvd burners, memory card reader, 1 Ram in slot 3 = No boot
* Removed all cards. Only connected with 1 HDD, 1 dvd burner, memory card reader, 2 Rams in slot 2 and 4 = No boot
* Removed all cards. Only connected with 2 HDDs, 2 dvd burners, memory card reader, 2 Rams in slot 1 and 3 and motherboard speaker = No boot code at all

I ended up contacting Gigabyte tech support and they suggested the following solutions and I tried them. Below are the results.

1) Remove CMOS battery for 10-15Mins. ==> Removed it for 15 minutes but it still didn't boot.

2) Ensure both ATX-24PIN and ATX12V-8PIN powers are connected properly to the motherboard, (see user manual page 5-7 for ref). ==> Triple checked both power cables are properly and securely connected.

3) Make sure the front panel power switch is connected properly (see page 24-30 for "F Panel header") ==> Triple checked pin by pin on the front panel power switch.

4) Test with motherboard, CPU, onboard graphics and 1 stick of memory module only. ==> Tried with only those components connected, PC still would not boot.

5) Reinstall the CPU and inspect the CPU/socket for any bent pins. ==> Reinstalled both my CPU and after market CPU cooler. Visually checked and I didn't see any bended pins.

6) If problem persists, please test the motherboard outside of the case to prevent power shortage. ==> Removed motherboard from the case and connected with the components on #4, it still didn't boot.

I really suspect the CPU at this point. I mean my original motherboard was an ASUS Z87 but my new build didn't boot either and I returned that motherboard for another reason. Intel replaced my CPU. However, the motherboard still does not POST. I ended up RMA-ing the motherboard to Gigabyte. They charged me for CPU socket repair. Got the repaired motherboard but I am still having the same issue. I spoke to Gigabyte again and they will replace the complete motherboard. I received the brand new motherboard (according to Gigabyte even it was in the exact same retail box when I shipped to them).

This time I tested the motherboard outside of the case with one stick of ram, CPU, CPU cooler and my OCZ PSU. The exact same issue as before. It does not POST and none of the fan spins (PSU, CPU) but the USB optical mouse light is on. It seems that I went back to square one. This whole process of RMA-ing the CPU and motherboard(2x) took like 3-4 months. I am so frustrated with this issue. :bang head This suppose to be a fun summer project for me to enjoy and build a new beginner gaming PC. It's almost the end of the year and it's still not finish yet. I really need urgent help from anyone in this forum. All advice are welcome! Thanks in advance.

Looks like you've tried a lot to get it to boot. Something else i've seen people do by mistake is leaving the "Clear RTC RAM" short in the wrong place causing the system to not boot. Might be worth a check. Might be called something else on your MB it's related to the clear CMOS function and requires a usually a provided plastic cap with two leads that short the pins its connected to.

That's all I can think of for the moment, hope you find a solution soon!

Thanks for the suggestion. I realized I used the wrong 8 pin cpu to psu cable. I felt stupid. It works and I am running Windows 7x64 on it. However, I have one issue. No audio at all. I triple checked the connection between my case (Cooler Master 922) front panel to motherboard via HD Audio cable. Below are what I did so far.

1.Tested with a speaker and headphone via each jack (green and black) jacks on the back. No audio.

2. Tested with a speaker and headphone via the front panel audio jack. No audio.

The audio driver installed fine. Windows didn't have any problem at all. Please advice on what else I can do to resolve this issue. Thank you and happy new year!

Have you restarted the system after installing the drivers? Usually when I go to install drivers, I tend to hit no because I'm installing several. Other than that maybe double check the audio header to see if its plugged in correctly. Not sure what else to think of doing.

*edit*

Also make sure the system isn't muted in the speaker settings, I know it sounds strange but several times i've thought i lost audio and it was that.

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the audio setting in the BIOS. After I tried set them to auto, it works fine. If you are a forum mod, please mark this thread as answer and close it. Thank you.

Back