• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New setup won't boot, Beep codes say VGA missing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well that is how the motherboard documentation refers to it. The motherboard has onboard graphics, but the CPU does not, so that might be why the motherboard differentiates it. Not sure. It is not part of the motherboard, so it is something extended off the motherboard (aka in addition to). That was part of the original issue. I didn't realize that the motherboard and CPU had to have onboard graphics for the onboard graphics to work. I thought all of it was on the motherboard, so I thought I had onboard graphics, but some of the fine print in the motherboard information said "only with a A series CPU".

Sorry, as mentioned, I might not be using the right term, as mentioned before. Just quoting how the motherboard manual refers to it as (in 20 languages :))
To be clear, the motherboard only has outputs to pass through video signals from the CPU. The motherboard itself (at least over the last several generations) does not have onboard graphics, only ports to support the integrated GPU on the processor.

Most mainstream Intel CPUs have an igpu (except those they recently started selling without - they have an "F" in their name). None of the HEDT processors in the last few generations have an iGPU.

HEDT means Broadwell and Xeon, right? Because Celeron, Pentium, i3, i5, i7, and i9 all have IGP. I would consider the i7 and i9 series to be High End Desktop but not sure the industry uses the term that way.

Last edited:
HEDT is for for x299 chipsets/processors (and previous, x99, x79). Broadwell based CPUs are on the mainstream platform from a couple of gens ago (pre skylake).

I7 and i9 nomenclature do not differentiate between HEDT and Mainstream platforms (there is some core count crossover on the CPUs of course). There are still some of both used in each platform (i7-7740K is Kaby Lake on X299). HEDT is any CPU that works in x299 or for AMD, x399.

Last edited:
Back