• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new ssd choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itachiii

Hey guys, I'm currently building a new rig and I'm having a rough time chosing SSD. So far I was sticking with the 850 EVO then I wanted to get an M.2 and here's the problem. Impact VIII (the mobo I'm getting) doesn't support M.2, it comes with a U.2 interface and currently there is no U.2 compatible SSD apart from Intel's 750. What should I do? I will finish this build in about 2 months from now and I will keep the SSD for last. Any clue if Samsung is going to announce their U.2 SSDs by then? Thx in advance!

OP
I

Itachiii

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
M.2 PCIE NVMe, yes and no. They are faster, and it's noticeable, but is it worth the premium??? Depends on who's spending the money.

OP
I

Itachiii

M.2 PCIE NVMe, yes and no. They are faster, and it's noticeable, but is it worth the premium??? Depends on who's spending the money.

What about the newer U.2? They eliminate the heat problems and have bigger bandwidth but they are a bit "unfriendly" towards ITX builds. Ofc they occupy the same space as a regular SATA SSD would but the M.2 was a really big convenience space-wise

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
U.2 can use pcie/nvme drives... like the intel 750. It's just an interface so it depends on what ssd is on the other side. :)

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
why not samsungs PM851 then, still has the same bw but doesnt seem from i can find to have any heat issues. keep in mind the heat issue is from prolonged data transfers.

OP
I

Itachiii

why not samsungs PM851 then, still has the same bw but doesnt seem from i can find to have any heat issues. keep in mind the heat issue is from prolonged data transfers.

Hey Evilsizer, PM851 is a mSATA drive IIRC right? Can't connect on a U.2 port :/ It' dead-end right now, te only choises I got is either for the 850 EVO or wait untill Samsung announces U.2 drives or M.2 to U.2 converter.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Go Intel then... its really not that hard considering the lack of choices for U.2. Its really in the infant stages right now.

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
I can attest that the 950pro does run rather warm at all times. not enough to scare me, but when its in an intel nuc it sure adds some heat that makes a difference

OP
I

Itachiii

Go Intel then... its really not that hard considering the lack of choices for U.2. Its really in the infant stages right now.

If nothing else pops up in the market ,in about two months that I will be building the rig, I will be getting the 750. No other choise for now.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
You can always get a M.2 PCIe adapter...you plug into a PCIe slot that has 4 lanes...bingo.

OP
I

Itachiii

You can always get a M.2 PCIe adapter...you plug into a PCIe slot that has 4 lanes...bingo.
The only problem is that I will have.. one PCIe slot :rofl:. I'll be getting Impact VIII and unfortunately Asus doesn't equip it with M.2 port anymore :( . I found a U.2 to M.2 converter somewhere but I don't know if I can trust it!

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
both still use pcie lanes, the difference is the connector. i am probably wrong but i think u.2 is more for server setups since the drives could be larger in a way then normal consumer drives.

*edit*
so im not sure why you cant trust adapaters, i have used IDE to SATA adapaters they worked fine. nearly ever external HD enclosure uses an adapater to take the drive from SATA to USB/FW.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995047
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813998031

when you got some of the top motherboard manufactures making the adapters, its safe to say they work.

*edit*
not sure how i found this but if you look closely at the connector on this adapter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995042
this is a sas connector, the u.2 connector sure does look like a sas connector.

Last edited: