• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New SSD, low performance ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monographix

Registered
I just got my first SSD, G.Skill Falcon (1) 64gb. Came with FW 1370 ("1.10" ?)

Just initiated and formated as any disc, basic disc, "default alocation", NTFS, before i put anything in it i am checking if everything is optimaly set with it.

first benches :

as-ssd-benchGSKILLFALCON6122520094-.png HDTune_Benchmark_GSKILL_FALCON_64GB.png Corel001.jpg
Corel005.jpg

Thats an MSI P35 board with ICH9R and the only free available sata port is a Marvel Sata that is bound to the PATA/IDE channels. After switching to an ICH9R port i got slightly better results but still not where i expect them to be. Also tried with IDE and AHCI mode in the ICH9 port, no difference. (is it maybe an Intel Storage Manager issue ? .......)

as-ssd-benchGSKILLFALCON6122520095-.png

Then i upgraded the FW to 1571, still no change ...

I aligned / reformated the drive with 4096 allocation this time, still no change. ( http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52912&highlight=ich10r+raid+guide )

--- BTW, what is this alignment business ??? why AS SSD benchmark states the "alignment/offset" are as "BAD" ? and to what exactly the k number displayed there refers to ???

--- bit irrelevant, Should there be some second "advanced performance" option in the device manager HDD properties under the "policies" in XP or this is something found only in vista/7 ?

diskproperties.JPG

Last edited:
OP
monographix

monographix

Registered

Here are the results after temporarily connecting it to an ICH9 port (have to remove the program files HDD and plug in the ssd in its place) (and after flashing to fw 1571, and aligning acording to http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52912&highlight=ich10r+raid+guide). Matrix is 7.8.0.1013)

as-ssd-benchGSKILLFALCON6122820092-.png

reads seem to start to get closer but writes seem to follow some unaffected low read/write ratio ...

Tried write cache also after this, no difference though

What are the conditions need to be met for this drive to deliver 230 reads max and 135 writes max as advertised on its own info sticker?

( Whats exactly this 31k partition offset? AS SSD Bench seems to present this "31k - BAD" to some other drives of mine as well, like my 36.7 OS files Rraptor, a card reader (??) an external USB/IDE HDD, some small 30-40gb partitions in other HDDs, and most other partitions appear as "4104607k - BAD" . All mechanical HDDs, do these offsets need fixing ? something to gain from "alignment"? )

Is there a way to clone an OS without ruining "alignment" ? (either on the target or source drive)

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
SSD's handle data in a different size, which is why we need to align them. it seems some manufactures of mechincal drives are swithing to the same size the ssd's use, not sure why they are... in either case you need to get intels latest drivers for the SSD's. there are problems with early drivers and SSD's not getting all the xfere speed. For best performance IDE mode should be used unless you want to use the raid even for a single drive for write back caching. in win7 the only way i could use write back caching was in raid but then im using two drives in raid-0 with no issues.

OP
monographix

monographix

Registered
i read somewhere that with win7 is better to use the Microsoft AHCI drivers (not ide nor intel ahci) as are the only and work the best so far with trim commands?

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
I'm having pretty much the same problem with my Vertex... 1024K offset on my drive... should i wipe it out and reset it to 64K?

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
ok well if you look at my benches in sig, those are with intel drivers, even though in raid. if you read OCZ forums there are a few times that when asked about drivers, Tony has said to use intel drivers no MS. even in win7 intel drivers for IDE/AHCI/RAID are out of data.. as people first complained about not getting the xfere rates your complaining about. it took updated ICH drivers from intel to help resolve the problem.

what i havent seen tested is different older IHC's tested compared to say ICH10/ICH10R or PCH-P55.

All i can tell you from reading on OCZ forums, IDE mode or Raid, those two. AHCI doesnt offer any improvement, Tony even said that some issues may happen with AHCI and even newer drivers. I didnt get the whole understanding of it since i wasnt planning to run in AHCI mode..