• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new ssd not working? DOA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

bought a samsung 850 evo from newegg last week and just recieved today. Unhooked my unused HHD and put in the SSD..not recognized. In BIOS or windows. I have a SSD on this PC already.

So, is it DoA? Can't get it to work at all

Assuming you haven't done this already...

Update to newest BIOS.
Reset to defaults.
Try other SATA ports.

Assuming you haven't done this already...

Update to newest BIOS.
Reset to defaults.
Try other SATA ports.

thats why I mentioned I already had the same SSD installed in a different port. I tried 2 ports, both with normal HDD connected that work, either recognize the SSD.

Tried another cable?

As mentioned earlier:
BIOS updated?
CMOS cleared?

Tried another cable?

As mentioned earlier:
BIOS updated?
CMOS cleared?

2 cables, 2 ports, both already working 100% because im using HDD on them. Same SSD I already have connected to PC, model and everything, just a 2nd one connecting, replacing one of the HDDs.

Yea, fully updated.

I'm assuming you tried at least one native AMD SATA port, not just the additional ports?

When in Windows, try going to computer management -> disk management and see if it recognizes the new drive. You should see a pop up asking you to do something with the drive.

When in Windows, try going to computer management -> disk management and see if it recognizes the new drive. You should see a pop up asking you to do something with the drive.

It isn't seen in the BIOS, haven't ever seen one in Disk Management when it wasn't showing in the BIOS.

Have you tried connecting ONLY the troublesome drive? I would also see if the Asmedia ports recognize it.

It isn't seen in the BIOS, haven't ever seen one in Disk Management when it wasn't showing in the BIOS.
I have.. on an ASUS board in fact. It almost stopped me in my tracks as I thought the same thing... if I can't see it in the bios, how would windows see it? Low and behold, I went into computer management -> disk management and it popped up asking to initialize or w/e. Its worth a try... its free. :)

I have.. on an ASUS board in fact. It almost stopped me in my tracks as I thought the same thing... if I can't see it in the bios, how would windows see it? Low and behold, I went into computer management -> disk management and it popped up asking to initialize or w/e. Its worth a try... its free. :)
That's interesting. Apparently the OS does not depend on the BIOS to detect drives but queries the SATA ports itself. IMO a good thing (within limits.)

Back in the day, the BIOS provided all I/O services for the OS (Basic I/O Subsystem, I think) As time went on more and more of the I/O has been handled by O/S drivers. These days the BIOS is required to initiate the boot procedure, getting something off the drive and into RAM and branching to it so whatever it loaded can bootstrap the rest of the OS.

/rambling

bought a samsung 850 evo from newegg last week and just recieved today. Unhooked my unused HHD and put in the SSD..not recognized. In BIOS or windows. I have a SSD on this PC already.

So, is it DoA? Can't get it to work at all

Hello Rydis,

We're sorry to hear about the SSD. Please contact us at [email protected] with your order details and we'll be happy to help you set up an RMA for the return. Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!

Newegg Support - William

yeah it wasn't there.

I also tried it being the only drive, and nada.

Hello Rydis,

We're sorry to hear about the SSD. Please contact us at [email protected] with your order details and we'll be happy to help you set up an RMA for the return. Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!

Newegg Support - William

Thank you for the great support.

Hrm, must be something with hotswap capability, it's the only thing I can think of where a drive could be seen in the OS and not BIOS.

yeah it wasn't there.

Oh well, was worth trying, at least you have Newegg taking care of you :)

Back