• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New SSD, now 2nd harddrive disapears intermittently after standby

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camarossguy2

Registered
System:

Windows XP SP3
Intel I7-920
Intel DX58S0
80gig x25 SSD ssdsa2mh080g2r5
250gig SATA Seagate hd.
4gig dd3 rams (i thinks its ozc or whatever)

Xp is installed on the SSD.

I was running my previous set up for years with the OS being on a WD hd, and the seagate as my media drive.
Got a deal on a SSD and i7 setup, so i ditched the WD drive and put the OS on the SSD. ( a brand new install of course)

Immediately after doing this i have a intermittent problem with seagate drive disappearing after resuming windows from standby. it probally does it 60% of the time. The drive is complete gone cant be found under an settings or disk management)
~A full restart will always bring the drive back.~

The only setting i've messed with the fix the problem is the hard disk delay in bios. factory setting are 0 seconds and i changed it to 5 seconds and 30 seconds, and no change on the disappearing drive.

I've searched here and goodled the problem and haven't found any one who has fixed it, but most post go unanswered.

any ideas?

OP
C

camarossguy2

Registered
they just came out with a new one last week.... dl'ed and installed. 4 standbys/resumes and the Hd still there.

Fingers crossed it stays this way.

Negative. Resumed computer from standby thismorning and the 2nd drive it gone, just like before

any other ideas guys?

thanks

Spawn-Inc

it could be the hdd failing. i know thats how my drives where acting before they died. they where seagates and i've since changed to WD only. i still have 3 seagates left but once they are gone i will be fully WD or ssd's.

my drive would be working great then just not appear anywhere afterwords. i would have to reboot and even then it might not come back.

OP
C

camarossguy2

Registered
Grabbing at straws - Possibly a power supply issue?

:cool:

Well it never did it with the old mobo and cpu... thats really the only thing that changed, besides going to SP3. it first happend the very first day on the new setup. The same PS has been in there this whole time.

As for a possible HD failure, guess i could try a different HD and see if i lose it as well. just quite a coincidence it happed on day one of the new setup.

My huntch is that when it resumes from standby, the SSD powers up instantly, while the standard one take a second(or a couple extra millisecs).... maybe the system just gets tired of waiting and moves on. lol... sometimes

Randyman...

Your new CPU and MoBo are likely drawing more power from that same PSU ;) Like I mentioned - just grabbing at straws - but it is a possibility...

:cool:

OP
C

camarossguy2

Registered
Well, i stuck in my old seagate drive and it has not disapeared yet, even when the current drive does. hmmmm

Might be failing, better get a new one just to be safe