• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system build - Please help with cost & specs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erratum

Registered
--- If this should be moved to a better spot, Mods, feel free & thank you --

I need to build a new box as mine just isn’t cutting the mustard. :bang head I’ve not dipped into system builds since I built my current system some 5 years ago. I don’t plan to build a new one for another 5 years or more, so I want to build something that will last a while & still run new software off the shelf in that time frame, thus I wanted to go with the new i7 platform. Mostly this will be a game box, with some photoshop work here & there.

So I did a lot of reading dual vs quad vs i7, OC potential, etc. and came up with the following.

Wow. This got expensive fast. :screwy:

New Egg Pricing
---------------------

MoBo – Asus P6T Deluxe $300
CPU – Intel i7 920 Nehalem $295
Paste – AS5 Compound $6
HS/Fan – Thermaltake V1 $60
RAM – 6g OCZ Gold DDR3 1333 $200
VID – Asus HD 4870 x2 2g $475
Case – Coolermaster HAF 932 $160
PSup – Athena 850w SLI/xfire $110
HDD – 300g VelociRaptor $230
DVD – LG DVD burner $25
BU Drive – Eagle 1.5tb USB 7200/16mb $170
UPS – CyberPower 1500va/900w $174
OS – Vista Ultimate 64bit OEM $180
-------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL - $2385

:confused:
**Where can I scrimp & save & still be happy ?

**Is there anything I’m not taking into effect ?

**Should I opt for DDR3 1600 instead of 1333 ?
(*note: 6g OCZ Gold DDR3 1600 is $135.00)

**Should I look into solid state drives instead of the WD VRaptor ?

**Gotta reiterate – Is there Anything I’m not taking into effect ?

I went with a Crossfire compatible VID card/mobo so I could add another Asus HD 4870 x2 in a year or so, but until then, will be happy running one card. At least, that’s my thinking at the moment.

I don’t plan to OC for a while … at least I don’t think so. My main thing here is longevity of the system. I may kick the chip up to 4ghz in a couple of years, when I need the boost. Again … my thinking at the moment. Ask me again in an hour and a half & that may change. lol

My current setup:
I built the system I use today 5 years ago for $680 (+ the vid upgrade)
It’s a P4 Presscott 2.8
ASUS mobo
1g (2 paired 512)
Just upgraded my vid to AGP HD3650 Sapphire 512mb DDR2
(was using a FX5200 & it just wouldn’t cut it anymore)
XP Home

I really need an upgrade … lol :(

Any help with the above :confused: questions and anything else you may want to throw my way would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I have never heard of Athena brand PSU's so I am concerned about their quality. Go with a well known good brand like Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C, Silverstone etc...

What card are you getting? A HD4870x2 or 2 HD4870?

OP
E

erratum

Registered
I have never heard of Athena brand PSU's so I am concerned about their quality. Go with a well known good brand like Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C, Silverstone etc...

Yeah ... I've never heard of Athena either ... but then, I've been out of the loop on anything pertaining to system building/componets since I built my current box 5 years ago, so me not knowing does not say very much.

The 4870 is a x2 (2gig / crossfire supported)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121294

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Im not out of the loop and I have never heard of them. I would still personally stick with one of the brands I listed.

Oh, ok so its the dual gpu HD4870x2, not 2 (as in quantity) HD4870's. Sorry, if I would have reread your original post I should have understood that... LOL

OP
E

erratum

Registered

Im not out of the loop and I have never heard of them. I would still personally stick with one of the brands I listed.

Oh, ok so its the dual gpu HD4870x2, not 2 (as in quantity) HD4870's. Sorry, if I would have reread your original post I should have understood that... LOL

No worries ... if I han't put the space in there, there wouldn't have been confusion. lol Thanks for the input on the Psup. I'm sure I can find one of the brands listed for little more (if any more) bucks.

Any tricks you have for keeping the cost down from what I have listed ? ... or am I gunna have to really bite the bullet on this one ? .... either way, it will be 3 months or so before I pull the trigger....income tax return & all.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Heh, in 3 months, post another thread. There will be so much more available and prices will likely have dropped on darn near everything you listed.

In all honesty, i7 doesnt seem to offer a lot more than Intel's current Penryn quad offerings. Sure it can take a TriSLI/CrossfireX system to another level, but, thats almost it. I believe it also offers some significant improvements in encoding and such like that. If you wanted to save some money, Dont get an i7 rig if you dont need it. If your budget allows, go for it.

OP
E

erratum

Registered
Heh, in 3 months, post another thread. There will be so much more available and prices will likely have dropped on darn near everything you listed.

In all honesty, i7 doesnt seem to offer a lot more than Intel's current Penryn quad offerings. Sure it can take a TriSLI/CrossfireX system to another level, but, thats almost it. I believe it also offers some significant improvements in encoding and such like that. If you wanted to save some money, Dont get an i7 rig if you dont need it. If your budget allows, go for it.

See .... that's the kicker. I want this box to run for 5 years, so I'm really leary of getting into a dual core. I could probably save a good $400 or so, if I went with a Duo instead of the i7, got a cheaper mobo and DDR2 ram .... but I think (in my mind anyway) that I'd be cutting 2-3 years off it's usefullness. Do you think it's wrong to think that way ?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I didnt mention to go dual core... Q9450, Q9550 etc are quad cores based of the Core2duo architecture. ;)

Like I said, the i7 isnt that much better than a Penryn (core 2 quad) in a lot of ways. However, your upgrade path will be a little longer.

Trap05

Actually it might not be what's to stop Intel from changing sockets in less than a year like they did with the P4 423 & 478? I agree i7 is probably the better way to go but nothing is for sure in the PC world except it always costs to upgrade.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Well, i7 has just come out 775, for all intents and purposes is dead. No new processors for that socket. i7 still has the 'tock' or a die shrink left in it towards the end of the year at least. But you are right trap.

OP
E

erratum

Registered
Thanks for the input guys ... I think that taking another look at price & availability + reviews, etc. in about 3 months will give a pretty good idea at where things are headed .... and like has been stated, may allow me to save a few smackers on the build.

aerick

Well, i7 has just come out 775, for all intents and purposes is dead. No new processors for that socket. i7 still has the 'tock' or a die shrink left in it towards the end of the year at least. But you are right trap.

So what next then, if the 775 is done for?