• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED new system build with 2 R9 270x in crossfire. what for the rest?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCapedAvenger

Registered
I just got a XFX R9 270x for my current comp and am looking at building a new one cuz im out of upgrade room. i would like to build it by this fall (the sooner the better :D) and am wanting to take the 270x i have now and buy another to crossfire with it.
what i need help with is finding "matching" components so i dont have a bottle neck anywhere. what CPU speed, RAM speed (if really relevant), and mobo to match, etc.... i want to go the AMD route for money reasons and would like the mobo to be upgradable for the next 2-3 years (if possible for around ~$180). also what AMD socket would you guys recommend that will probably be widely used in 3 years?
Thanks for any help. this forum site is becoming a real big help. :)

What's your total budget? Frankly for 1080p if that's the res you're playing at I'd avoid xfire...

But let's work with your other parts based on your total budget first. And location (US?)

Avoid Crossfire for 1080p, if that's what you're playing at. Extra heat and wattage aren't worth it.

If you want something AMD is building on, get FM2+. The 7850K is the best processor for that socket.

Agreed with both.

Crossfire not worth the hassle@1080p.

Ideally, sell the 270x and grab a 280x/7970, or, if it fits in your budget, a 290.

That's if you absolutely want to stay with AMD.

A used 680/770 would be great if you are ready to go to the nvidia side and don't plan on mining.

what are the cons with crossfireing the 270x? or gpus in general? ive heard SLI and crossfire discussed together, are they the same thing? if someone could explain these to me i'd appreciate it(all i know is self taught and it isnt much. but thats why im here).

What's your total budget? Frankly for 1080p if that's the res you're playing at I'd avoid xfire...

But let's work with your other parts based on your total budget first. And location (US?)
Im thinking around $1200. $1500 is the max and only if i need to in order to have room for expansion. say in 2-3 years i want to upgrade stuff i can still use the mobo (cuz the socket is still popular for new CPU, i hear fm2+?) and the psu (1200W?).

Edit: added quote

Last edited:
what are the cons with crossfireing the 270x? or gpus in general? ive heard SLI and crossfire discussed together, are they the same thing? if someone could explain these to me i'd appreciate it(all i know is self taught and it isnt much. but thats why im here).

Im thinking around $1200. $1500 is the max and only if i need to in order to have room for expansion.

SLI is nVidia, Crossfire is AMD.

Cons are a lot of extra heat and wattage in the system. Not worth it unless you're pushing 1440p (questionable even then) or 5760x1080p.

Cons are a lot of extra heat and wattage in the system. Not worth it unless you're pushing 1440p (questionable even then) or 5760x1080p.
so crossfire is for higher resolutions but increases the power consumption and heat by a lot so its only worth it if you will be using it? is the alternative a single more powerful GPU that has twice the computing power and produces less heat, uses less power, but may not handle the higher resolutions as well (ideal for 1080p though)?

i would like to set up a 5720x1080p for games so is the crossfire better or one bigger GPU (im not a big fan of selling things online and we dont have a local demand for any of this)? not sure which games atm but hope to get it setup for some driving and fps games if anyone has favorites.

oh and yes i live in KS,USA

i guess i kind of put this on the wrong one (should have put under general hardware for discussing a new build) but it was 2am here and was tired and not thinking. is there a way to move the whole thread or is it good here in the general GPU (i am basing my build off the GPU)?

Last edited:
Which quad core?
Crossfire on two low-end cards isn't worth it. Buy one better card instead.

Get a GTX 780 instead. You'll save ~$80 and get better performance.

i got one R9 270x for my birthday and i found another for $230 ($460 for both) and the cheep GTX 780 im seeing is for ~$500. i dont really like selling things online and probably wont get more than $200 for a used 270x. i also hear that crossfire is a little better for 5760x1080p. is this true or is it the same for a single card of equal power in which case you get the single for better power consumption?

im not sure how to balance a system and was just wondering of those two which would be the bottle neck and by how much? the crossfire 270x's or the CPU?

Crossfire (in and of itself) isn't better or worse than anything for 5760x1080. What counts is vRAM and Bus Width.

The 780 has more vRAM, and a wider PCIe bus, making it superior to one (or two) 270X's since the GPU core is roughly equal in performance to the two 270X's.

Crossfire (in and of itself) isn't better or worse than anything for 5760x1080. What counts is vRAM and Bus Width.

The 780 has more vRAM, and a wider PCIe bus, making it superior to one (or two) 270X's since the GPU core is roughly equal in performance to the two 270X's.
ok thank you that helps me understand crossfire some. what about the bottle neck with the CPU?

youve answered most of my threads on here so thanks a lot for the help.

I doubt you'll have a CPU bottleneck with two 270X's. Especially if you OC the CPU any.

You're welcome :thup:

Back