• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new system - need cooling ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LawyerLynn

I'm building a new system around a Phenom II 955BE and an MSI 790FX board and I'd like some suggestions regarding HSF combinations. I figure now, before I put everything together, is the time to choose what cooling I'll use. Budget is around $60.00 (somewhat flexible). Figured this was the best place to get some ideas from before I spend hours looking at reviews of stuff from New Egg.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Reviews at newegg? Please dont look at those. Ever. Unless you want a good laugh.

In reading your other thread, you are not going to be an extreme overclocker or anything. Something simple like a Xigmatek s1283 with its stock fan will be fine for anything you can throw at it.

Why not i5 like everyone and their mom suggested in your other thread? Budget shrink?

OP
LawyerLynn

LawyerLynn

Sorry, I said it wrong, I don't consider the reviews at newegg, I look at the items at new egg and then go off to look for the pro reviews of the items, that's why it takes a while.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll check that one out. I'll probably OC some, but you're right, I'm not going for the extreme.

OP
LawyerLynn

LawyerLynn

Why not i5 like everyone and their mom suggested in your other thread? Budget shrink?
Yeah, budget shrank some when I discovered I was going to need a new power supply after all (got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=power_supply_corsair-_-17-139-005-_-Product) so the budget took an unexpected ~$90.00 hit that that ate into other parts and pieces. I also decided that rather than be in a situation where I would have to disassemble the whole system to put in new cooling in the future if I upgraded or decided to try and max out the OC, it would be better to go ahead and invest in and get some better cooling than stock and install it as I built the system so I had to make a bit of a trade off there to reserve some money for cooling. Had to downgrade a bit on the video as well, got a ATI 5750 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102865) instead of 5770 too.

Not the latest and greatest maybe, but a hell of a lot better than what I've been using and some potential for future upgrades and OCability. Should last a good while and handle what I need it to handle ok.

jezzicaz789

Disabled
I'm building a new system around a Phenom II 955BE and an MSI 790FX board and I'd like some suggestions regarding HSF combinations. I figure now, before I put everything together, is the time to choose what cooling I'll use. Budget is around $60.00 (somewhat flexible). Figured this was the best place to get some ideas from before I spend hours looking at reviews of stuff from New Egg.

Hi all!
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.