• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system- what do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishList.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=178494

I hope that link works... Anyways, this is the new system I plan to buy... Anybody have any comments, suggestions, etc? I already have a WD 7200 RPM 40 GB HD, a 36X CD drive, a decent CDR (which uses an adaptec scsi card, that shouldn't be a problem?) 3.5 floppy, and a TNT2M64 video card with 32mb memory. I also run my external DSL gateway through USB. These are the things I'm reusing for now.

A few things:

1: I can't spend any more than this at all.

2: I'm going to get DDR ram later, so no comments on that

3: I'm going to get a new video card leter, so no comments there either

4: I'm not looking to necessarily overclock, but I do want a very cool stable system.

So I run the 4 fans up front pulling, the 2 on back and the side on pushing air out. That and the good CPU fan should keep me freezing cold, right?

I have problems with my TNT2 overheating, so I hope this stays cool enough. Maybe a dab of arctic silver on the heatsink (it has no fan)

Any comments, suggestions, etc? I'm pretty set on this combo, but I'll listen anyways.

I think you better copy and paste your build list onto here. When I click on the link, the cookies at Newegg take me to my wish list.

BHD

BaldHeadedDork said:
I think you better copy and paste your build list onto here. When I click on the link, the cookies at Newegg take me to my wish list.
Ditto. It's best to get a working link by using the "e-mail to a friend" link then put in your address.

you really might want to think about investing in a 20 dollar NIC. I ran my cable on usb for two weeks, then bought a NIC and i was getting 400k/s downloads (150 before the NIC) :eek:. sooo...just a suggestion.:)

I already have a good HD that I'm going to reuse. Anybody else like or dislike the setup? I'm thinking of trying to sneak in a Radeon 7500 or GF2ti200 or another cheap (under $50) card, since my TNT2 will need cooling to stay stable. Any ideas on that?

well it's a ok system if your looken to save money. if you plan on playing some of the newer games you might have some problems. but it's not bad for only costen $250.
why don't you check this out i did a little looken around
http://www.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=179581

alttile more but a lot better. i would try to stay a way from boards that offer both sdr and ddr. i've heard bad things about them. but thats just my opion.

Project86 said:
http://www.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=178494

OK this is the link that it emailed me when I tried to send my list to a friend. So try this one, hopefully it will work.

Sorry

Trust me, that setup is going to be obtrusively load with 6 80mm fans and a 60 x 30mm CPU fan. I'm configuring a less-migraine prone setup for you at the moment...

Edit: Here's a much quieter setup. That case has a much more reliable brand of PSU but it could use some mode work (like cutting out the fan holes and adding a side fan for instance).

Last edited:
So even though that Foxcon case has a 300 watt psu, it should be better than the other one which is 350? I really don't care about the noise, my current setup is super noisy just from being old and crappy. If it cools better, noisy is fine. I'm not even sure if I'm going to be able to get a new setup til next year. Do prices usually go down after Christmas?

Deadphishy- your wishlist you made is missing a motherboard... Did you have one picked out at all? I hear mostly good things about the ECS board, and it is really cheap.

Project86 said:
So even though that Foxcon case has a 300 watt psu, it should be better than the other one which is 350? I really don't care about the noise, my current setup is super noisy just from being old and crappy. If it cools better, noisy is fine. I'm not even sure if I'm going to be able to get a new setup til next year. Do prices usually go down after Christmas?

Deadphishy- your wishlist you made is missing a motherboard... Did you have one picked out at all? I hear mostly good things about the ECS board, and it is really cheap.

It's not just the noise it's the fact that the case has a weird setup and a so-so brand of power supply. The heatsink you chose is also very inefficient.
FoxConn, FongKai, Enlight, Chieftech, Inwin and a few other names make really nice and easy to use cases. Brands to avoid include Maxtop and Nikao.

Back