• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new system woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billwinkle

first off thanks for reponding to my earlier post about 5 volt prob.
While going thru burnin and testing I had several problems concering the IWILL KK266+ non raid board. ie the no boot problem which I seem to have fixed by resetting cmos with power cord disconnected.
However now while trying to boot up my wd 40gig hd was making a ticking noise while trying to boot to win2000. Scandisk would run slow then lock up. Now I am getting a message that windows/system/config? (not sure if that was exact file) is missing or corrupt and to try to fix file from win2000 cd.

I did have the hd connected to my promise ata100 controller card but on boot up it would say that promise bios was missing so I moved hd to ide0 on mainboard. but alas same message but the weird clicking noise has seemed to have departed.
All voltage and bios settings seem to be right on, and I was just wondering if after so many crashes that it would be best to format
and start fresh. I did not do that when I put this together last week.
Could the hd drive have suddenly f**ted out on me or could it just be the fact that with so many crashes and rebooted and hard shutdowns that this has happened. I will try tonight to fix the corrupted file but was hoping that maybe someone else has been thru this nightmare before.
thanks again and sorry for long post but i know info is everthing

enermax eg465p 431 watt
rest of system
iwill266r+ non raid
amd 1400
zalman cnps5000 with ystech fan
256mgs micron pc133 cas2
visiontek geforce3
wd 40g hd ata100
wd 6.4g ata66
wd 4g ata33
richoh 7060 burner
creative dvd player
netgear fa311 nic
4 case fans 3hd fans

Clicking noise of harddisk doesn´t sound good for me.. might be an approaching headcrash..
Don´t won´t to frighten you, but your HDD may be dying on you

yea, if u hear loud sounds from a hdd, back up asap.. i had a full 20gb ibm, and i was to late :( R.I.P
my whole music collection down the drian errr

I'm going to install win98 on a backup hd tonight so i can pull neccessary files that I havent been able to move recently, then I will test the wd hd for problems and if not then i will format and do a clean install and see what happens from there.
i figured win98 install on backup drive will be easier than win2000.
Thats what I use normally

Back