• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoMeD

Finnaly decided to switch over from my AMD system to a much superior ( I hope ) P4 system and I was just wondering If you guys had any suggestions/comments on the components I'm leaning towards.

Case: Antec Sonata
PSU: 380 Watt TruePower ( Included with the case )
Memory:pC 3500EL DUAL CHANNEL ddr, 433mhz, copper hs, cas 2, CR 2T 2x 256 Or 512MB TwinX PC3200 Low Latency Dual Channel Kit 2 x 256MB
Motherboard: Abit IC7
Processor: P4 2.4C
Hard Drive: Old crappy 7200rpm 20 gig for the time being.
Graphics Card: GF4 Ti 4200 128mb DDR
Cooling:SLK-900U w/ Startech 2600 RPM High Flow 92mm Case Fan The case also has 2 spots for 120mm Case Fans, So I'll pick up the most powerful ones I can find.

Now I was just wondering about some things like the RAM. I'm really not sure which to buy as I have heard so many things about both types. As well there are many types of RAM out there that I haven't seen so any better suggestions are welcome. I've also heard there are some problems with the bios on the IC7 that are recurring in updates, any more info on that is welcome.

If anyone has dealt with these parts any experience or words of advice would be welcome. Not really looking to break the bank on this system so price is a concern. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sorry for my first post being this ;)

Maxvla

sounds like a great setup.

only tweaks i would suggest would be a 9500pro instead of the ti4200. the cards bench fairly similar with no filtering on but its a completely different story once you try running anti aliasing and anistropic filtering. the 9500pro establishes a very large lead.

get a larger hard drive. 20gb is nothing. right now i have 140gb on my rig. i've got about half of it used.

good choice on heatsink. i use the same one. azn uses it also and he gets near watercooling temps with it.

OP
N

NoMeD

Thanks for the input but everything you mentioned was things that I already have. The only reason they are still in my setup is because I couldn't afford buying a new hdd and graphics card because I just dropped 700 ( canadian ) on my monitor. Eventually I'll be upgrading to two raptors, and a Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb DDR I'm just kinda broke right now :(

batboy

Senior Moment
Looks pretty good. Very similar to my rig. Lots of different RAM to choose from, I suggest researching that a little more (there is a memory section of the forum) and reading some reviews out on the internet. Kingmax HyperX PC3500 is worth looking at if you're on a budget. Buffalo PC3700 is cheap and showing some promise too. I have the OCZ dual channel PC3500 EL and so far it's working out quite well, but it's not all that cheap. Some folks don't like OCZ though. If I were to pick Corsair, I'd get the XMS PC3500-C2 rather than the PC3200 LL version you mentioned.

The case also has 2 spots for 120mm Case Fans, So I'll pick up the most powerful ones I can find.

Wow, this caught my attention. If you install 120mm case fans, you sure don't need to use the most powerful. I just got a couple slow speed 120mm that only turn 1,500 RPM which are rated for 53 CFM which flows almost twice what a standard, cheapie, run of the mill 80mm case fan does. If you get two high speed 120mm fans, your case will be a wind tunnel... hehehe.

Maxvla

oh well you didn't say you already had those parts :p

i thought you were buying them. if you were buying a ti4200 it would be a mistake unless you got it dirt cheap since the 9500pro's are not that much more expensive and are significantly better.

well it looks like you are getting all top of the line parts.. whats there to comment on?? rofl.

OP
N

NoMeD

I've been trying to find some of the specific types of RAM mentioned in the Memory section of the forum but being in Canada really limits my options because shipping over the border = no go. They really get creative when charging me with handling and brokerage fees, then taxes on top of that and I have had all too often damaged parts come.

As for the fans I have been told that two 120mm Fans pumping out 80+ CFM that is a little excessive and well...I like being excessive though I may just opt for some Stealth 120's instead to keep the noise down.

batboy

Senior Moment
LOL... that's what I just got... 2 Vantec Stealth 120mm fans... that will be plenty... trust me.

As for RAM, once you go past 275 FSB, you'll probably have to use the 3:2 memory ratio, so even at 300 FSB you'll only be at DDR400. Just get some decent PC3500 RAM so you can use aggressive timings and you'll be ok. You can't go wrong with Corsair XMS, Kingmax HyperX, Mushkin black label, TwinMOS, A-Data, OCZ EL, etc.