• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to dremel need tips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePunkGeek

well i got my dremel yesterdy and wondering if theres an secrects or tricks to the cutting wheel moding a case window (or any things on a card) (not aluminum)

should i be able to get a window out with just one cutting wheel or would it take a few? (i know aluminum clogs them)

ok thank any tips be cool

If your using a fiber disc it shouldn't clog but just in case what i do is keep wire brush near by and with it spining hit it with the brush. It will be like new again.

go slow, cut only a little at a time, and don't apply too much pressure. If you keep that in mind you will use much less wheels and hve a more enjoyable experience. Good Luck!

well i modded a friends case
(window + hole for grill/fan)

looks pretty nice but i do need more practice.

few things i would like to know if there are any tricks for.

is there a speical way to cut easy curves and for rouned holes.

and another thing is. is there an easy way to cut a stright line i tried a ruler but it was plastic :( you can guess what happened to the ruler.

Well you could still use the ruler as a guide, but trace a line with a marker instead of cutting right next to it. For blowholes or curves I go over the line many times in short strokes, then when the piece is cut out, I use a drum sander to finish the curves.

m_mike_k said:
Well you could still use the ruler as a guide, but trace a line with a marker instead of cutting right next to it. For blowholes or curves I go over the line many times in short strokes, then when the piece is cut out, I use a drum sander to finish the curves.

ok thats what i did with the blowholes thanks for the tips

WHAT Dremel is better!!!! That doesnt sound right! well at least for me I used the Jigsaw and it flew through my case.
If you like the dremel so much then yeah well take your time. Im sure you have your case done with masking tape right. So just draw the design and like everyone says take your time! not so much pressure!!
In my opinion the dremel has to be the best all around tool but definitely better ones in different fields!

TimDgsr said:
i'm about to go buy a dremel, what all types of bits should i get?

When I bought mine it came with a small assortment of bits. Small but representative of most of the things you can do. After that, the best deals are often found by getting small sets of bits for $10-$15.

Reinforced Fiberglass bits are the best.
I use them for all the cutting i do. Metal , glass, plexiglass and soo on... trick is that u cant use the top speed on the dremel to cut metals with them, otherwise you'll be going thru alotta!!! wheels!

Back