• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to htpc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mudajama

so i ran up a list of parts on newegg. tell me what you think.

zotac gf800-c-e
amd athlon x2 6000 3.0ghz
4gb (2x2gb) ddr2 800
seagate barracuta 1tb 5900rpm sata
unknpwn power supply and case. i might mount it inside my rear projection. lots of room.

I would personally swap it out for something like the M3N78-VM. The reason being the better integrated graphics. The 8xxx series has the ability to process most video codecs (not all) for things like hidef signal, reducing the load to next to nothing on the processor. I have bought 3 of these boards and when I am watching Hi-def content my cpu sits at 7-10% load

Last edited:
good deal. Lol im so use to building gaming computers that im in a permanant overkill mode.

good deal. Lol im so use to building gaming computers that im in a permanant overkill mode.

I'd grab one of the low power CPUs, 5050e, or any of the Athlon II X2 models. I seem to remember something about some 25w dual cores coming soon, not on the egg yet though.

Also think about swapping the HD to a Western Digital Green, Seagate's reputation has been pretty bad lately.

so it doesnt take alot of processor power to run. so i could go with a relativly weak cpu.

so it doesnt take alot of processor power to run. so i could go with a relativly weak cpu.

I have one of my htpc's running on a sempron dual core 1.8 ghz. When you get the right vid card the cpu doesnt have to do anything.

if cpu power is neglible im aiming for a budget system. my tv is only 1080i

Back