• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OC but I gave it a try

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lightningfront

Registered
This is the first computer I have built and have never OCed before. Been talking with a few of the guys here at work and believe that I am starting to understand how it works. I purchased all the components and built the computer last night and attempted my first OC.

ASUS P5N-D
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz
OCZ Gold 4GB DDR2 800
BFG Nvidia 8800GT 512MB
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
2 Seagate Barracuda 250GB HD in RAID 0
Centurion 5 case
Coolermaster Extreme Power 500W supply
Vista Home Premium 64-Bit

I changed the FSB from 1066MHz to 1333 MHz giving an overall CPU speed of 3.0Ghz. Upped the memory from 800MHz to 900MHz.

I palyed a RTS game for a couple hours to see what the CPU and MOBO temps were at and after 2 hours the CPU was 36C and the MOBO at 40C

Kinda ne to this so just looking for some feedback as to if this is a good setup for a casual gamer and if I have over clocked too much or not enough.

You need to test it with Orthos, SPrime, or Intel's burn in test for real stability testing. Your temps are very nice though!.

If you were just going to game you should have gotten a dual core like an E8400 and just overclocked it further. What else do you plan to do with the system?

I would also recommend changing the PSU to a quality Corsair, OCZ, or PCP&C unit.

You need to test it with Orthos, SPrime, or Intel's burn in test for real stability testing. Your temps are very nice though!.

If you were just going to game you should have gotten a dual core like an E8400 and just overclocked it further. What else do you plan to do with the system?

I would also recommend changing the PSU to a quality Corsair, OCZ, or PCP&C unit.

I do a lot of video editing, I always have more than a few applications open, and wanted to be capable for when they do start creating games that use multi-core processors.

Back