• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to OCing intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmatties

its been a very long time since i've seen an intel system. not sure what things i need to change in the bios to over clock. been useing amd for the past 15 years.

so my brother inlaw wanted me to build him a computer. s i did and here it is:

I7 6700k

Asus Pro Gaming/aura MB

Giel PC4 24000 (16GB total CL15-17-17-35)

MSI 1060

EVGA 500w PS.

my major thing is what option do i need to disable. and what is the max voltage on air would you recomand.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Cpu multiplier and vcore for the cpu. Set xmp for the memory. Keep voltage under 1.4V-1.45v but I doubt you will sustain that on air.

OP
cmatties

cmatties

whats with hardware monitor. why dose one report a 2.5 on vcore and the other on 1.29. which it should only be 1.29

voltage.png voltage2.png

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Clearly it's reading wrong...you chip would be smoking if you fed it 2.3V for long.. ;)

They seem to have VID (stock voltage - value shouldn't chamge), and vcore.

OP
cmatties

cmatties

ok thats what figured but doesnt hurt to ask. now do i have to set the jumper on the mb for ov to get the multiplier to go to 43. it will not move from 40 on CPUZ but in the bios its set to run at 4.3 with turbo core

trents

Your look at the wrong voltage line. HWMonitor can be confusing but if you want to find the reading that corresponds to what you will see in CPU-z look at the green circled value higher up in the user interface than what you show in your attachment. I have circled it for you.

Attachments

• vcore.PNG
    vcore.PNG
    60.7 KB · Views: 32

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
There is nothing else in that section. See how its expanded with the "-" symbol? Those are the only reporting sensors on the board, what he sees/his screenshot. I believe the Pro Gaming is a lower tier than the Pro.

I also have that very peculiar max voltage of 2.whatever in Hwmonitor. I only see Vcore as well, no CPU VCORE and VCORE (this is on the Apex, note).

trents

cmatties,

If you want you can capture bios screen shots to a flash drive by pressing the F12 key. Then you can attach screenshots of what you see in bios so we can see it if you think that will help. Just beware that sometimes the bios screenshot files need to be resampled to reduce their size so they stay under the forum's attached file size limit.

Are you saving the changes to your settings in bios? Once you make a change you need to hit the Enter key to save them before moving to another line item. Then you need to hit the F10 key to retain those changes before rebooting.

trents

In your first post you typed the RAM is DDR4 24000 (I think you meant 2400). Why do you have it set to 3000 in bios?

Or should you have typed PC4 24000 in your original description? PC is a different rating than DDR. They are not interchangeable.

OP
cmatties

cmatties

thats the XMP profile for this ram. also that is what it says on the box. PC4 24000 3000MHz CL 15-17-17-35

my bad that was a typo

trents

Is this what you are wondering about? The 4000 mhz on the right side panel on bios may be just a statement about the stock frequency and may not be intended to reflect changes in the CPU ratio you make in your overclocking.

With your ratio changed to 42x in bios, please boot into Windows. Install a free program called CPU-z. Launch the program. Put the CPU under load by running a stress test like Prime95. Watch the reported frequency in the CPU-z interface. What is the highest value you see? 4000 mhz or 4200 mhz?

Attachments

• 42x.PNG
    42x.PNG
    217.7 KB · Views: 27

trents

But have you looked at it while loading the CPU?

Is Turbo mode still enabled?

What is the newest bios version for that motherboard? Do you need to flash the bios? Perhaps the existing bios has a bug.

OP
cmatties

cmatties

no turbo is disable and i'm updated to the newest version

its still staying at 40 not moving to 42 but if i changhe the bus speed it works

Untitled.png

Last edited:

trents

Then try enabling turbo. My motherboard with 6600k won't set the correct ratio when I disable turbo and try to give it a ratio higher than that for stock turbo frequency. Let me tell, you. There is not as much uniformity on the Intel side as you might think when it comes to motherboards and bioses. How the various companies set up these things on various boards shows an amazing amount of variability.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Guys...that is the CACHE ratio you changed, not CPU ratio...!!!

If you look in the memory tab, you will see 'northbridge' and that 4200mhz...