• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OCing... Tips??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gopher Love

Ok so basically this is the first time i've ever overclocked my computer... I know all about how and know PCs very well.. But I would still like some advice on how to maybe get a little more outa here...

Specs:
Thermaltake Xaser VI Case with 4x 140mm fans and 2x 120mm fans
AMD Phenom 2 955 Black ED stock 3.2GHz Socket AM3 C2
MSI 790FX-GD70 Motherboard
Zalman CNPS9900NT Cooler (120mm fan)
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 GPU
Measly 2 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1333MHz RAM
Antec Earthwatts 750 watt PSU

Right now these are my settings and it's been pretty stable
Base Clock - 220MHz
Multiplier - 17.5 X
Core Speed - 3850MHz
Core Voltage - 1.4 V
Idle temps range between 31-33C
Load temps range between 45-46C

I am working right now on getting a little bit higher but these were the last stable settings I had.... Any tips on getting higher than that or am I basically getting to the max I can do with air cooling?

Also, anyone happen to know why I cant change the core voltage or the base clock through the BIOS??? I can only change the multiplier. Had to use AMD Overdrive to up the voltage and clock... I want it to save to the BIOS and not have to use the software all the time once I find a VERY stable clock..

Last edited:
Also, anyone happen to know why I cant change the core voltage or the base clock through the BIOS??? I can only change the multiplier.

According to the bottom of the bios screen you could change it with +/-. It is grey because that's the default value but does not mean it can't be changed, try PG up/down as well.

Awsome man, Dont know why I didn't think to try that... With the multiplier I had to hit enter then I get a list of choices so I figured that was how to change the other things. But +- works!! Thanks.

Back