• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New To Overclocking GPU, Any Tips For This Rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ac3r88

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core i5 6400 @ 2.70GHz
12GB RAM
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (EVGA)
Corsair CX550M Power supply

I know that I can get more out of my graphics and have been playing around with the EVGA PrecisionX 16 overclock tool but I have no idea where to start and don't want to end up frying my graphics card.

Any suggestions for a noticable but safe overclock where I can gradually keep pushing it up from there?

Thank you

Default:
Untitled.png

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Crank the power limit and see how far it takes you. Once it freezes/has issues, raise the voltage a bit. Just make sure you aren't hitting the power limit. ;)

I'm sure you can get 100mhz+ out of the core and 200mhz on memory.

Tír na nÓg

^this, and no way you fry your graphic card. With power and voltage limit on the nvidia GPUs, it is perfectly safe. Card will throttle well before any damage could occur.

OP
A

ac3r88

Crank the power limit and see how far it takes you. Once it freezes/has issues, raise the voltage a bit. Just make sure you aren't hitting the power limit. ;)

I'm sure you can get 100mhz+ out of the core and 200mhz on memory.

Battlefield 1 lags when I apply the setting you suggested. Do I also need to up the voltage and fancurve ?

OP
A

ac3r88

Power target max which is around 124

Temp Target 91

GPU Clock 100

MEM Clock 200. Even when I reduce this to 100 modern games lag badly

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Not what you set it to, what power is it using? You can see this in msi ab graph.

Take memory to stock.. still do it? THE gpu down 50... still do it?