• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Overclocking: Overclocking my PIII?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joshh100

Hey everyone,
I have been reading these forums and some of the tutorials about overclocking on this site and it all seems very interesting to me so I was thinking of maybe doing this myself. I have a Dell Dimension 4100, which has a PIII 1 GHZ processor. What are some good tutorials on this site that I should read about overclocking as there are so many and I dont have time to look through them all. Please let me know. Thanks.

batboy

Senior Moment
OEM computers like Dell and others are rarely overclockable. Also, lots of the Dells have a non-standard motherboard and power supply. If you replace the mobo, then you'll need to replace the PS too. While you're at it, might as well build a new P-4 rig.

Melf the Elf

Registered
I'll give you a hand!

Don't worry about the spoil sports. Some of us here actually do own commercially built systems. I've got a Dell, a Gateway, and a Frankenputer (my tinkerbox).

You have two problems with overclocking: First, the Intel 1 Ghz P-III is multiplier locked at 7 1/2 times the front side buss of 133 megahertz, and second, the Dell most likely (especially if it has the Intel D815EEA motherboard) does not allow changing the speed of the buss. Even software such as SoftFSB does not support the Intel board, but you can always try it against yours. I have the same problem with my wife's Gateway P-III 866 with the above mentioned Intel motherboard. I plan on getting around that by changing the chip to a Celeron Tualitin with a 12 multiplier of a 100 Front Side Buss (FSB for short), and pin mod it to force the motherboard to run a 133 FSB, for a total speed of 1.6 Ghz. To pin modify a tualitin to run on a Flip Chip Pin Grid Array socket (FC-PGA) instead of it's normal FC-PGA2 socket, read this thread:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67417&highlight=Tualitin

It is a long read through some tough Ingrish at times (truely showing what an international phenomenon overclocking is) but it is a wonderful source for info about overclocking the un-overclockable. One word of advise: the seven pin mod(ification) they discuss is for running a tualitin on an original socket 370 PPGA(Push Pin Grid Array), not the socket 370 FC-PGA chipset i815 motherboards use.

You can try software overclocking the videocard (a whole another subject for a whole another forum), but if it is like my wife's Gateway, the video is intel's built in 82815E 3D graphics chip- truly a lame chip.

I wonder if I will ever be able to get my Radeon All In Wonder 9700 I dream about...

Melf

OP
J

Joshh100

Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate it.. maybe instead of overclocking my processor, I can overclock my GFX card.. I have a Ti 4200 so I guess Ill have to look around and see what I can do, thanks.

themlruts

i have a micron P3 800 with a tyan s1854 motherboard and i want to be able to over clock it anyone have any ideas i can change the front side bus.
thanks
mike

d]g[ts

I myself have a PIII 800 by micron with a tyan mobo. What i did was to get a bios from the tyan website for that board, instead of the micron bios. Can't remember why but it was a pain to flash it, but i did get it. Then you will be able to overclock it. WARNING it was not very stable with the tyan bios, made win ME crash twice as much:( So in the end I flashed the micron bios back and left it there wasnt worth it.

sorry to joshh100 for helping get his thread hijacked

themlruts

but the only way to overclock it is do change the FSB which is probly why you crashed cuase that speeds everything up ex: vidoes card, soundcard network cards this can cuase big problems with stability. i know there is a way to change the multipier some how. i once read sometihing about puting nail polish on one pin so the processor cant auto lock the multiplier. not sure well if anyone else has any ideas let me know
thanks
mike