• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Overclocking the Corei7 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twiggy159

I want to overclock my Core i7 to overclock my ram from 796. But I can't seem to get the ram settings over 796 unless I overclock my CPU from 2.66. Can someone help me out on how to overclock the CPU to a stable clock? I tried doing it myself but it is pretty different from overclocking Q6600s which I haven't dealt with much myself. I'm afraid to touch anything without a little guidance. Please help me out with this, thank you.

Twiggy

bda1967

What RAM are you using? I'm not very good at explaining things in writing so I'll give you what I have and hopefully the other members can chime in with their knowledge. Here are some notes to help you out that I saved from my OC spreadsheet.

CPU Freq=Bclk x Mult.
4000MHZ=200 x 20

Uncore Freq=Bclk x 2(Memory Mult.)
FREQ=BCLK x[2(MULT)]
3200=200 x [2(8)]
Uncore must always be at least 2x the memory or 2x+1

Mem Freq=Bclk x Mem Mult (Usually a 2:8 ratio)
1600=200 x 8
DRAM can exceed 1.6v IF the Uncore Freq and DRAM freq are within .5 volts of each other.

QPI Freq=Bclk x QPI Mult
FREQ=BCLK x MULT
7200=200 x 36 (or 7.2 GT/s)
Use lowest QPI Multiplier usually 36.

Here's a link to a Nehalem Calculator that I found on-line to help you play with the settings before you actually do it. http://icrontic.com/apps/nehalem-calc/

Use these threads to help you determine the safe voltages for your motherboard, CPU and RAM

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631454

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630105

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629461

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630495

Finally here are some links to help you with i7 overclocking.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fe...overclocking_guide_we_push_nehalem_its_limits

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-920-overclocking.html

http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?threadid=5736

EDIT: For reference here are the settings that I used to get to 4.0 GHz with HT Enabled and Turbo disabled.

CPU Clock-20
BCLK-200
CPU vcore-1.34v
QPI vtt-1.46v
CPU PLL-1.90v
QPI PLL-1.22v
QPI Link Speed-x36
Uncore Frequency-x17
Intel Turbo Boost-disabled
CPU cores enabled- ALL
CPU Multi Threading- Enabled
C1E-Disabled
C3/C6/C7 State Support-Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor- Disabled
CPU EIST- Disabled
Virtualization Tech.- Disabled
Bi-Directional PROCHOT-Disabled
PCI Express- 100 MHz
CIA2- Disabled
CPU Clock Drive- 800vm
PCI Express Clock Drive- 900vm
CPU Clock Skew- 100ps
IOH Clock Skew- 0
Performance enhance- Standard
XMP- Disabled
System Memory Mult.- x8
IOH Core- 1.12v
ICH Core- Auto
ICH I/O- Auto
DRAM- 1.66v Timings manually set to 9-9-9-24 CMD = AUTO
Load Line Calibration-Enabled

Last edited:
OP
twiggy159

twiggy159

Well the RAM I am using is the Corsair Dominator 1600 3x 2GB sticks, the motherboard I am using is a pain in the *** and won't let me set a certain ratio but a target frequency mixed with the target ratio. The motherboard is the EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188049

And it also isn't very friendly showing a lot of the settings such as BLCK or the uncore multiplier. I'll have to take a picture of what my BIOS looks like in order for you guys to understand what I'm looking at.

EDIT:

Here's some pictures showing what my BIOS screen looks like:

Main BIOS Screen
IMAG0098.jpg

Freq/Voltage Screen
IMAG0099.jpg

Voltage Control
IMAG0100.jpg

Memory
IMAG0101.jpg

Memory Cont.
IMAG0102.jpg

Due note that in the memory screen how it says target frequency, I cannot separate the frequency from the ratio.

Sorry about some of the blurry pics, had to take them on my phone.

Last edited:

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Give these settings a try for 4.0GHz (191 x 21; w/ Turbo and HT enabled)...

Code:
Frequency Control
CPU Clock Ratio (x 20 )
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ( 191 )
CPU Uncore Frequency (Mhz) (x 16 )
Spread Spectrum ( Disabled )
PCIE Frequency (Mhz) ( 100 )

Memory Feature
Memory Control Setting (Enabled )
Memory Frequency ( 2:8 )
Channel Interleave Setting ( 6 Way )
Rank Interleave Setting ( 4 Way )
Memory Low Gap ( Auto )
tCL Setting ( 8 )
tRCD Setting ( 8)
tRP Setting ( 8 )
tRAS Setting ( 24 )
tRFC Setting ( 56 )
Command Rate ( 1T )

Voltage Control
EVGA VDroop Control (Disabled )
CPU VCore ( 1.3125v ) 
CPU VTT Voltage (+150mV)
CPU PLL VCore (1.80v )
DIMM Voltage ( 1.65v )
DIMM DQ Vref ( +0 )
QPI PLL VCore ( 1.3v )
IOH VCore ( 1.275v )
IOH/ICH I/O Voltage (1.6v )
ICH VCore ( 1.2v)
PWM Frequency ( 800 KHz)

CPU Feature
Intel SpeedStep ( Disabled )
Turbo Mode Function ( Enabled)
CxE Function ( Disabled )
Execute Disable Bit (Disabled )
Virtualization Technology ( Disabled )
Intel HT Technology ( Enabled )
Active Processor Cores ( All )
QPI Control Settings ( Enabled )
QPI Link Fast Mode ( Enabled )
QPI Frequency Selection ( 4,800 GT/s)

Last edited:

nzaneb

Well the RAM I am using is the Corsair Dominator 1600 3x 2GB sticks, the motherboard I am using is a pain in the *** and won't let me set a certain ratio but a target frequency mixed with the target ratio. The motherboard is the EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188049

And it also isn't very friendly showing a lot of the settings such as BLCK or the uncore multiplier. I'll have to take a picture of what my BIOS looks like in order for you guys to understand what I'm looking at.

Due note that in the memory screen how it says target frequency, I cannot separate the frequency from the ratio.

Sorry about some of the blurry pics, had to take them on my phone.

The Ratio is what determines the target frequency, there's nothing to seperate. This BIOS simply shows you what the calculated outcome of your current settings will provide... (instead of grabbing a calculator and doing the math yourself) I personally love the Phoenix Award BIOS that EVGA uses.

Are you trying to overclock your 1600mhz RAM past 1600mhz, while at stock CPU clocks?

Redduc's suggestions are spot on for a starting 4 ghz overclock. You may ultimately be able to lower your vCore, but start where he suggested. Make sure you disable vDroop initially.

OP
twiggy159

twiggy159

The Ratio is what determines the target frequency, there's nothing to seperate. This BIOS simply shows you what the calculated outcome of your current settings will provide... (instead of grabbing a calculator and doing the math yourself) I personally love the Phoenix Award BIOS that EVGA uses.

Are you trying to overclock your 1600mhz RAM past 1600mhz, while at stock CPU clocks?

Redduc's suggestions are spot on for a starting 4 ghz overclock. You may ultimately be able to lower your vCore, but start where he suggested. Make sure you disable vDroop initially.

Should I return the RAM settings to default? I originally tried to just overclock the RAM to 1600 but I couldn't get it above 796 mhz without overclocking the CPU.

nzaneb

Should I return the RAM settings to default? I originally tried to just overclock the RAM to 1600 but I couldn't get it above 796 mhz without overclocking the CPU.

Where did you get that 796 reading from? CPU-Z? DDR stands for Double Data Rate, so that 796 means your ram is running 1592 mhz.

OP
twiggy159

twiggy159

Okay so following redduc900's settings I managed to get the CPU at 4.0 GHz but the RAM is still stuck at 796 MHz. Here's some screenshots of what I mean.

Settings.png

As you can see, the RAM is stuck at 796 MHz. This is my biggest issue seeing how the RAM is advertised to run at 8-8-8-24 at 1600MHz.

nzaneb

Where did you get that 796 reading from? CPU-Z? DDR stands for Double Data Rate, so that 796 means your ram is running 1592 mhz.

Okay so following redduc900's settings I managed to get the CPU at 4.0 GHz but the RAM is still stuck at 796 MHz. Here's some screenshots of what I mean.

Settings.png

As you can see, the RAM is stuck at 796 MHz. This is my biggest issue seeing how the RAM is advertised to run at 8-8-8-24 at 1600MHz.

See my previous reply. Screenshot the Memory tab of CPU-Z and post it up.

OP
twiggy159

twiggy159

Here's the memory tab of EVGA E-LEET (Basically the same thing as CPU-Z.)

memory.png

And also I have a dumb question; It says only 2.5GB of my RAM is usable. I guess this is because I'm not running on a 64 bit system?

Last edited:

nzaneb

Here's the memory tab of EVGA E-LEET (Basically the same thing as CPU-Z.)

memory.png

And also I have a dumb question; It says only 2.5GB of my RAM is usable. I guess this is because I'm not running on a 64 bit system?

E-LEET is a very handy tool, I use it quite often. Your RAM is running at the right speed :thup: Just double the DRAM frequency to determine the actual speed. You are also correct about the usable RAM being limited by the 32 bit OS. Congrats on the 4ghz overclock.

OP
twiggy159

twiggy159

E-LEET is a very handy tool, I use it quite often. Your RAM is running at the right speed :thup: Just double the DRAM frequency to determine the actual speed. You are also correct about the usable RAM being limited by the 32 bit OS. Congrats on the 4ghz overclock.

Thanks! Now to see how much a 64 bit version of windows will set me back.