• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janthony

I have an old laptop but I've been curious about this OC stuff so signed up and thought I'd ask if anyone could help me overclock my dinosaur? I've got a dv6000 HP Pavillion with an AMD Turion64 processor. How do I go about juicing this thing up a bit (without burning her up overnight of course). And how far do I push in what directions?

killem2

I have an old laptop but I've been curious about this OC stuff so signed up and thought I'd ask if anyone could help me overclock my dinosaur? I've got a dv6000 HP Pavillion with an AMD Turion64 processor. How do I go about juicing this thing up a bit (without burning her up overnight of course). And how far do I push in what directions?

I can't be to much help here but I do know that OCing a laptop in general is bad because of the crappy cooling most get by default anyway.

BeHappy

Overclocking is only available with certain "unlocked" type bios. These enthusiast type of bios are not typically installed onto any laptop made by major sellers (acer, asus, hp, dell, gateway, etc...). There are exceptions to every rule, but I would say that *most older generation laptops are almost impossible to overclock, and would barely give any sort of measurable difference in real world computing anyway.

This is only my opinion, but if you want to try and get into overclocking, you can try and build a decent desktop setup from new or used parts. Doesn't have to be anything crazy expensive, just something to get started with.

I built a budget amd build for about $150 that is incredibly decent and was a great way for me to learn some tips/tricks for overclocking amd processors.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
:welcome: I fixed your title to be more readable, having an easily understandable and specific title helps you get better answers.

Bobnova

You might be able to pull the case open enough to find the PLL module and use SetFSB or something like it. That's your only real hope though.

QuietIce

Disabled
Overclocking a laptop is generally a bad idea. The heat dissipation alone is the biggest problem and very hard to overcome. Even though it's old you wouldn't want it to go into meltdown or worse, would you ...?

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Here is why you don't OC your laptop

laptop-fire-02.jpg

Please don't do this, because for every time someone OCs a laptop a Prince of Persia character misses a jump and dies.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Meh, I think this is getting a bit misleading. Overclocking a laptop isn't that bad of an idea - a good first step is improving the HSF contact and replacing the stock TIM. Your gonna pay for it in battery life more than anything, but it's not like your going to fry the system doing it.

I wouldn't bother with it tho - the performance gain will be minimal due to cooling limitations and the reduced battery life isn't worth it to me. I wouldn't seriously consider it dangerous however. :thup:

Xtreme Barton

Meh, I think this is getting a bit misleading. Overclocking a laptop isn't that bad of an idea - a good first step is improving the HSF contact and replacing the stock TIM. Your gonna pay for it in battery life more than anything, but it's not like your going to fry the system doing it.

I wouldn't bother with it tho - the performance gain will be minimal due to cooling limitations and the reduced battery life isn't worth it to me. I wouldn't seriously consider it dangerous however. :thup:

100% agree

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Sorry I like to go overboard. I've OCed a IBM T40 a couple of times. Never ended well at any time...

Xtreme Barton

^
that would make one think you didnt pay attention to temps, etc ..

just like a desktop if everything checks out ok you should be fine .. but i guess there are those rare cases

Xtreme Barton

it could happen .. especially if thermal paste wasnt applied good at the factory .. let alone it being good thermal paste .. which could cause major heat when bumping it up and the ultimately death

Bobnova

You can run 'em with no heatsink, a lousy heatsink install won't do it. TM2 works really, really, really well.