• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to the AMD world and a few Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gottcha

I am building a computer for someone and i have picked out

1. AMD Athlon X2 245 2.9ghz cpu
2. MA785GH-US2H MB
3. G. Skill DDR2 800 2gigs going for another 2 when funds allow.
4. Thermal take psu 430w
5. WD 750 black HD

Ok now for the questions. How good are the motherboard and CPU? Can anyone give me a good idea on how to over clock this board and CPU?
Any other thoughts or comments you would like to throw in are welcome.

Bobnova

CPU is excellent for the price. Motherboard has AMDs newest chipset, which is also quite good. I haven't worked with that specific board though.
What are the timings on the ram?

The PSU i don't know, i would stick to seasonic (they have totally decent 22a 12v PSUs for $36 on newegg) or antec or corsair.

The CPU should do 3.5 without issue, possibly a decent bit more if the board is happy with it.

OP
gottcha

gottcha

Ram timing is cl5-5-5-15 (F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ)
I have the psu bigger brother in my main rig and it has done good so i got this 430w as a new egg black Friday deal.

Thanks for the reply

QuietIce

Disabled
ThermalTake PSUs are made by a wide variety of PSU manufacturers. If that's the TR2 430w W0069/W0070 I wouldn't trust it too far - I'm not too fond of HEC.

The other components are fine for a basic rig. OC'ing will need to be done using the clock but that's OK too - I often prefer that to using the CPU multiplier. Here's a thread for you to start on for OC'ing:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555058

BTW - Is that board the MA785GM-US2H ...?

OP
gottcha

gottcha

ThermalTake PSUs are made by a wide variety of PSU manufacturers. If that's the TR2 430w W0069/W0070 I wouldn't trust it too far - I'm not too fond of HEC.

The other components are fine for a basic rig. OC'ing will need to be done using the clock but that's OK too - I often prefer that to using the CPU multiplier. Here's a thread for you to start on for OC'ing:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555058

BTW - Is that board the MA785GM-US2H ...?

Well i already have the psu so i'll give it a shot. Thanx for the link and yes My keyboard made a typo "MA785GM-US2H" :eh?:

QuietIce

Disabled
Didn't realize you already had it or I wouldn't have said anything - I should read closer the next time. We all work with what we've got. Unlike some I doubt a modern PSU (unless it's complete junk being waaay over-taxed) would burn out a board. It's happened in the past but most PSUs have safeguards for that now ...

OP
gottcha

gottcha

Yeah I should have worded that better... I got some on black friday and save about 70 bucks.
I ask a question in the general hardware forum a long while back and got lots of great ideas which i kind of mixed and matched to get this combo of parts.
This computer will be for my wifes mother so as long as it loads programs fast and plays the little myspace and face book games she will be happy.

Bobnova

It'll be great for that, I have that cpu (in route to my mom's computer) right now, it's a speedy little sucker. OC'd to 3.5 without so much as blinking, too.

OP
gottcha

gottcha

It'll be great for that, I have that cpu (in route to my mom's computer) right now, it's a speedy little sucker. OC'd to 3.5 without so much as blinking, too.

Well i will have all the parts to my build by monday so i might be asking for some more advice.

OP
gottcha

gottcha

Oh I forgot one thing how far can i push the overclock with the stock heat sink??? it looks pretty cheesy.

Bobnova

Mine's running at 3.5ghz 1.44vcore, and somewhere 38-40*c with the stock heatsink.
It should be noted that it's just sitting on a desk though, no case :p
It has an intel heatsink fan sitting over the NB/SB to cool them.

In a case, it'd depend on your airflow.

It's the same heatsink as the PhII 810 quad core has, just half an inch shorter. That one allowed the quad to go 3.2ghz.

It's a dinky heatsink, but actually works pretty well, it has a ton of surface area if you calculate it.

Parad0x420

did you use the thermal paste that was preapplied?

never, if you can ever help it. The most recommended around is probably Arctic Silver 5.. even after all these years it's a top performer. Many new brands of TIM (thermal interface material) have come out lately, I've been using the new IC7 Diamond which works great btw, a lot of people use the MX-2 or TX-2 or whatever it's called.. but in a nutshell aftermarket paste is highly recommended.

OP
gottcha

gottcha

I used AS5 on my sig rig and then went water and used MX-2 which was very easy to apply. I have some AS5 on order so i will use that. Does anyone know what the stock preapplied stuff is?

Bobnova

did you use the thermal paste that was preapplied?

I don't actually know, i bought the cpu/mobo/ram from another user on this forum, it came with the ram and cpu/HSF installed and i haven't touched them.