• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to the group.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

synphul

Registered
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and new to the seti team. Thought I would break the ice and say hello. I've been a lurker for years, coming to the forums to read up and keep up with new tech. Not sure why I didn't join up until now lol.

I've tried running seti in the past on older systems without much luck so i'm giving it another shot. Noticed the boinc manager is quite a bit different and there are some changes from the original sticky so I kind of just gave it a go. Unfortunately I don't have an nvidia card and seti doesn't make use of ati gpu boosts.

After running seti@home the past 9 hours at full cpu usage I checked my temps. They don't seem too bad to me, but I really don't max my system too much to compare it to. Don't laugh, it's an older setup - c2d e8400 @ 3.9ghz and managed to keep temps at 45-46c. FSB is at 435.8, so a slight overclock on the ram as well, both running at a 1:1 ratio. I'm curious to know if that sounds decent cooling on air, I know the c2d's run a bit cooler than others. I have a screenshot showing everest cpuid but not sure how or where to post it.

Hi and welcome to the team !
Everything isn't always about the power you bring to the team. I started out about 10 years ago with an overall interest in SETI, found the original SETI app and started crunching. I have on and off for the past 10 years run the various apps, but always dedicated My CPU and recently GPU power for the SETI project. With time it also brings out the competitive spirit in most of us, competing aginst teammates and other teams.
Unfortunately the interest seems over time to cost quite a bit of money...;-)

The temps on the CPU of yours looks normal to me !

The wizard

Last edited:
Actually, the optimized SETI in the sticky does work on ATI cards now. My largest contribution to the team RAC right now is my main rig which is giving about 16k RAC right now. Give it a look. Your temps look great actually, you could probably push a bit more if your board hasn't hit a wall yet.

thanks wizard, and thanks rick. i'll have a look at the sticky again. i'm curious to see what my gpu is capable of compared to the cpu if i can get both running together.

Thanks Cuper and Voodoo. Now if we could just get seti@home to cooperate with wu's I'm sure everyone would be happy campers. Well provided no one's in the middle of a tear down due to the down time. lol

Back