• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to water cooling, need some pointers on getting started.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infowire

Registered
Hello everyone,
i came to the conclusion that i need water cooling =)
i have AM4 Ryzen processor and evga 1080 Ti SC (11G-P4-6393-KR), when i'm not using the computer i run my mining operation. With that said, my computer gets hot, my gfx card is 80F at 90% fan speed. I have a Eclipse P400S case that is in a small room that gets hot. I have the corsair closed loop for the processor. (Witch i replaced one already, the pump failed. My computer started shutting down again so that's why i am here.) So i look at some videos, this seemed like a good idea but this would pump hot water to the cpu:
View attachment 200820
watercool.png

I am going to use these
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Reservoir/Pump Combo V2
XSPC RayStorm Pro WaterBlock (AMD AM4) Black
XSPC EX240 Radiator, 120mm x 2, Dual Fan, White
XSPC FLX Clear 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD, (16/10mm)
EK-FC GeForce GTX FE RGB - Nickel
G1/4" Plug with 10k Sensor (Black Chrome)
XSPC EC6 High Performance Premix Coolant, Translucent, 1000 mL, Blood Red

My PC:
signal_attachment_2018_08_21_162315.jpg

Prob will need 90 degree fittings.

So point out what i did wrong or give me suggestions.

Thanks!

Shopping list:
to_buy.png

Heres what im thinking:
design.png

Last edited:
:welcome:

I'm not going to be a ton of help here but I do see something I don't like. By the way, I love the look of your case so.... just getting that out of the way. In your diagram, you have your radiator removing the heat from your CPU/GPU and fans blowing that heat right back at the CPU/GPU. While not catastrophic, it's not great.

Additionally, on the top, you have one fan pulling air in and another venting air out. The air will short circuit and provide you with very little. I would have the fan in the back and the two up top venting out.

I agree with some of that sentiment... both top fans should be exhaust.

As far as the rad blowing warm air in... that happens. Either its on the front blowing in or on the top using warm air to cool the CPU and GPU. So long as there is adequete case airFLOW (with the 3 fans exhausting there should be) the internals will be just fine.

That said, I worry about the capacity of the radiator being able to adequetely cool your CPU and GPU at full tilt/mining. With that setup, I would look at 3x120mm worth of radiator if possible. It will still work, but the fans may need to be running faster (and louder) to compensate.

Yes, like that. Why would you need a thin radiator? Literally the only thing that changed is flipping the top fan around to exhaust...

IMO I would go with the thickest 360mm radiator you can fit in that case. Even if you have to mount the pump/res under the GPU. That 1080ti is pumping some heat while mining. You'll want as much cooling as you can muster.

no room for thick 3x120 fan radiator only have 1.25"

either 2 fan thick or 3 fan thin.

Hmmm. It's a real pretty case. Do you have a Dremel and a hand file? LOL

OK, seriously, a 240mm radiator will not be enough to properly cool your GPU and CPU. You may need a case that is geared for water cooling ( or MOD the case :D ).

The general rule of thumb is 100W per 120mm Rad. Your 1080ti is 250W TDP and your Ryzen is either 65W or 95W (assuming here that it's not Thread Ripper) so you Might be ok or slightly under the general rule. Mind you this is not a science. Those TDP numbers are also at stock. If you're overclocked I would say forget it. However, Some people undervolt for mining. This can lower your TDP and give you some leeway.

Looking at your case here:
http://www.phanteks.com/Eclipse-P400S.html

The case is designed for 120, 240 or 360 mm or 140, 280 mm on the front. In other words, up to 3 x 120 or 2 x 140. That may buy you some options.

The back can take 1 x 120.

You could do a 120 on the back and a 360 on the front.

Pages 20 and 21 of the manual.

The general rule of thumb is 100W per 120mm Rad. Your 1080ti is 250W TDP and your Ryzen is either 65W or 95W (assuming here that it's not Thread Ripper) so you Might be ok or slightly under the general rule. Mind you this is not a science. Those TDP numbers are also at stock. If you're overclocked I would say forget it. However, Some people undervolt for mining. This can lower your TDP and give you some leeway.

oh its threadriper x1950.
So what your saying 3x120 is 300w for the radiator. So you're saying that i am 130 watts short ?
I am using this radiator XSPC RX360

ffffffffffffffff.png
gpu.png
cpu.png

Last edited:
RIP

LOL J/K I'm not saying you can't do it. I'm just saying that's the general rule. When you mine is your CPU relatively idle or are you CPU mining also?

idle it's like 4% use.

When i use photoshop and play games my mining is off, i don't think with gaming my gpu gets as hot as mining.
i mean .. what's the worst that can happen ? spending a lot of cash, getting 80F?

One question, since i have both GPU and CPU in one system, where do i plug in the thermostat ? there is one that goes into the res. and one goes somewhere in line. ?

Last edited:
for a threadripper cpu your going to need a different cpu block. the am4 block wont cover all of the cpu. this is what youll need for your 1950x
http://www.performance-pcs.com/raystorm-neo-amd-str4-threadripper-rd.html
a 120 and 360 is going to be really tight if your ocing the cpu. if i remember correctly the tdp of the 1950x is 180w, oced it can hit 300.

edit- also keep in mind that you will have to change your fluid religiously(according to the specs) or youll run into issues.

Where would it say how often do i change fluids ? What if i use synthetic =) 5000 miles?
How do you measure the temp? the cpu has a thermostat on the socket or in, witcherver it was. So i prob shouldn't buy a sensor for the pump and plug into the CPU Water fan slot on my motherboard?

Get red tubing instead of dye... saves the hassle of breaking the loop down frequently due to potential clogs/staining.

That ruins the whole effect =) but yeah prob smart. On the radiator, does in matter liquid holes and on top or bottom.

no it doesnt matter which way you have them. whichever is easiest to run your tubing.

Right. You don't need to worry about water temperatures. The CPU and GPU temps are what is important and yes they are inside the components. You can monitor them with software like HWMonitor(free).

A worst case scenario really is you hit the thermal limit on a component and it will throttle it's self to prevent damage. Naturally you don't want this to happen but if it does it is there to protect your sizable investment. It's also the final sign that you need to invest in more cooling. Lol

Back