• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to water cooling, need some pointers on getting started.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i have air filters on all the fans. ignore the pump design in the pic.
View attachment 201238

Bad idea. Not sure if the filters are before or after the fans but that won't matter because that isn't configured properly for flow and effect your temps. Whether the filters are before the fans, you're basically filtering the air that is about to exit the case which defeats the whole purpose of having filters. If they are after the fans, the exhaust is smacking up against the filters as the exhaust won't completely exit the case and if anything recirculate warmer air. I would have the exhaust as intake (front) and intakes as exhaust (unfiltered back). If the top has a filter, just leave it the way it is. Just switch the front and back and add an intake at the bottom of the case if possible.

For washing, only distilled water or add some vinegar or something ?
How much liquid i'am supposed to put in ? my pump 410 ml but do i need to add more ?
How do you get rid of bubbles in hard tubes ?

So just replace the front and back , and include the filters to very front outside, i have the carbon with a mesh filter but it might be too big, would you use the smaller filter and a on top a bigger one ?

the reason i did the set up like that because the corner sits in the corner ... So lots of hot air in the back then it goes to the top intake....
IMG_20180507_220806.jpg

Last edited:
Edit because I missed some of the conversation. I like the new air flow due to the location of your machine in a confined corner.

Distilled is fine to cleanse the new gear before you put the loop together as you want to get any mfgering particles out or they could clog up your blocks or damage the pump.

As for filling it up, just fill her up, doesn't have to be topped off. You'll probably do this for the next few weeks as the bubbles work their way to the reservoir. If you see some bubbles, you could slightly tap the tubing but be careful as you don't want to dislodge one of the tubings from its fittings.

As for filters, I'm not sure if you're referring to the case filters or 3rd party. I would just use the way the case came with and have those fans as intake and the rear exhaust. You could remove the top filter if there is one and have it as exhaust. Overall, you should still be fine even though it's close to the back wall. You can test both configurations and see which gives you the best temps. Key thing here is getting the rads the coolest outside air first.

if you rinsing or cleaning your parts you can use tap water initially. once you have them nice and clean rinse them well with distilled water.

you will have to watch your water level inside the res to determine how much water to add to your loop. start by filling it to the very top. run your pump(dont do this by turning the rig on, use the psu trick).
once the water level gets close to the outlet. DONT let it get below the outlet or youll run your pump dry. again fill the res back up to the top. run the pump and on and on until the water level in your res stays pretty much where you filled it. leave your pump running for roughly 8-24hrs to get all of the air out of your loop. if you see air pockets in the loop try lightly shaking the case to dislodge the air. if that doesnt get the air out turn your case on the side(being careful not to go so far as to run the pump dry. turn the case and shake it until you get the air out. the small bubbles that stick to the sides of your res and tubing will just take time to work out of the loop. if your water level drops below what you want it set at just keep adding until your loop is free of air bubbles/pockets.

i agree, now it makes sense! thats a good idea. being that youve got the rear and top fans as inlets. you just need to get a filter for the rear fan and your top fans. take off any filters that are on the front fans to improve airflow. a filter on your outlet will only restrict airflow as im sure you already know.

haha Jack beat me to it!

Max is right. Just be careful when tilling the case around since hard tubing is a bit tricky to work with as opposed to soft tubing and tight fittings on them. You don't want to spring loose the tubing from the fitting that only has a couple of rubber gaskets holding it in place.

Also, when filling to the top, at least from my experience, careful when topping the res up because once the bubbles come roaring in, it will create a splash effect and can get fluid out of the res that's why I recommend filling it basically half way and keep filling it till it needs some more. Once it settles down and you're about to seal it closed, make sure it's about 75% filled. Again, over the next few weeks and possibly months, you'll be refilling that reservoir. Just make sure you're using the right balance of liquid.

Yes, don't forget your 24 hr leak test with only powering the pump to check for any slow leakers.

thank you for the responses! since im using Mayhems Pastel Coolant Premix UV White i read that if you clean the system with "Mayhems Blitz Pro Cleaning System" then you won't have any problems - according to people on reddit .. i only washed my radiator with distilled water and put it together ... if that going to be enough ?

That could be correct. I never used colored coolant so I don't know for sure but it would make sense to me if that is correct. I always had just used distilled water and Redline brand water wetter.

Most pumps/reservoirs have filters. I think Jack was referring to your case air filters.

So a guy recommended that i run the system with "hot water" (How many degrees??? deform by PETG tubes??) 2 times, then run distilled + white vinegar(how much??) a few times, fish of with just distilled.

Then i read "Don't use vinegar with nickel/copper components, ever, it can eat damage your blocks."

mine:
cpu - Copper
gpu - Copper base & Acetal+Nickel
radiator - Copper and Brass Core

i want the loop ready before i can put my coolant.

Last edited:
So a guy recommended that i run the system with "hot water" (How many degrees??? deform by PETG tubes??) 2 times, then run distilled + white vinegar(how much??) a few times, fish of with just distilled.

Then i read "Don't use vinegar with nickel/copper components, ever, it can eat damage your blocks."

mine:
cpu - Copper
gpu - Copper
radiator - Copper and Brass Core

i want the loop ready before i can put my coolant.
I feel like there is too much thought being put into this. Just rinse with tap water to clean it out. Flush with distilled water to remove the remains of the tap water then fill with distilled water. Do this once or twice a year or more if needed and enjoy your machine. You've got a great setup and it's time to just have fun with it.

I feel like there is too much thought being put into this. Just rinse with tap water to clean it out. Flush with distilled water to remove the remains of the tap water then fill with distilled water. Do this once or twice a year or more if needed and enjoy your machine. You've got a great setup and it's time to just have fun with it.
Agreed! (out of thanks!)

i always like to complicate things

Nothing wrong with overthinking things. Ask away. It's when many don't think (and research lol) is when things go wrong.

If you're using EK's nickle plated GPU blocks, try running clear premixed fluid from EK or Aquacomputer (DP Ultra) and the likes. No color stuff. Annual drain and refill.

Nothing wrong with overthinking things. Ask away. It's when many don't think (and research lol) is when things go wrong.

If you're using EK's nickle plated GPU blocks, try running clear premixed fluid from EK or Aquacomputer (DP Ultra) and the likes. No color stuff. Annual drain and refill.

i got XSPC CPU and EK's for gpu.

i made up my mind im going with blitz for the rad.

Oh boy. That's some heavy duty stuff. I'm not sure but make sure it's bare metal in there and not some coating on the rad otherwise you can kiss it goodbye. lol

Back