• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New/used editing machine.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mraka

Registered
Hi!

I am considering to buy a second hand/used PC for video editing.

Specification:

Case > Cooler Master Stryker
MB > Asus ROG Strix x99 Gaming
PSU > Cooler Master v750
CPU > Intel Core i7 6800k OC @4.3 GHz
Cooling > Cooler Master Nepton 240M
GPU > GTX970 4GB Windforce
RAM > DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB CL16 @3200 MHz
SSD > Samsung Evo 850 120 GB
SSD 2 > Samsung Evo 850 120 GB
HDD > WD Blue 1 TB (1000 GB)

MB, CPU, and RAM are bought and installed 4 months ago.

Total cost would be 1.350e ~ 1.470$

What do you guys think about this?

I know PSU is... so... so... And i have no idea how good or bad is that Cooler Master Nepton 240M.

PC will be used for video editing so that 6800K and its 6/12 cores come really handy.

All suggestions about this build are very welcome! :)

Last edited:
Seems fine to me as far as horsepower...psu is fine, nepton cooler is fine.

No idea on price, is it $1,470??

Seems fine to me as far as horsepower...psu is fine, nepton cooler is fine.

No idea on price, is it $1,470??

Yes, i can buy it for $1.470, it is used, everything is about 1 year old except CPU, MB, and RAM which are 3-4 months old.

My biggest concerns were PSU and Cooling unit, since i have no idea how good or bad are those listed.

I know about reviews, but like to hear first hand :)

I read here before that Cooler Master is basically no good, only to go with Corsair or Seasonic. And i was thinking if i buy this machine i would have to upgrade at least PSU, but if you say it is fine, i will trust you :)

That looks like a good deal, even if you have to replace the psu. My 6800 rips through video great even with a 1gb gpu.
You will need a big hdd. My build is up to $2900 cnd ($500 for the m.2 ssd). I helped my cooling by 10 degrees by re-doing the thermal paste for $10.

Yep it is a good deal, i did buy this machine and it is a great machine. And i will not be replacing psu :)

It slices through the 4K 25fps like through the butter. It chokes somewhat on 4K 25fps h.265, but it is ok (will do some more tests).

What are you temps at idle and load?

I got mine OC at 4GHz and have 62C max at 100% load. While idle it is 32-34C per core, and 39-40C for package (HWMonitor).

I put a 6800K rig together not long ago, using second hand stuff for the most part.
Let's just say that the budget got a tad out of hand and shows your $1450 to be a very good buy.

Dont't want to kill the magic, but a Ryzen 8 cores rig, new, with either a RX580 or a GTX 1070 would cost about the same (or even less...), and would perform better, even if its OC limit is around 4GHz...

Yep it is a good deal, i did buy this machine and it is a great machine. And i will not be replacing psu :)

It slices through the 4K 25fps like through the butter. It chokes somewhat on 4K 25fps h.265, but it is ok (will do some more tests).

I got mine OC at 4GHz and have 62C max at 100% load. While idle it is 32-34C per core, and 39-40C for package (HWMonitor).

I can tell you that when I first built this I was pushing it over 4.4ghz, over 80 degrees in stress tests. The guys here reined me in before I did any damage.
My daily oc is 4.3 GHz. With no load it runs at 1200 GHz cold and will go to 4.3 Ghz/50 degrees rendering in adobe premier.
My usage is light, but for stress testing my bios will reduce my oc to 4200mhz when certain instruction sets are present, to keep inside the safety range.
Under stress I think I hit 70. Maybe should run one and get a screenshot.

idle and load levels

loade.PNG noload.PNG

Back