• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New VM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

I will be setting up a new vm tomorrow. I need advice on changes I need to make during setup of VM and install of main OS so this VM will be able to be monitored using HFM or FahMon. I am not a network wiz and I know just enough about Linux to get vm running. So I am hoping just making the right additions during creation will make it all a lot easier.

onefstsnake

Going to use Ubuntu?
Monitoring isnt hard at all with Ubuntu. Infact look a few threads down and there is a good guide.

OP
Hardass

Hardass

Going to use Ubuntu?
Monitoring isnt hard at all with Ubuntu. Infact look a few threads down and there is a good guide.

Thanks but already been down that road. You have no idea how many times I have tried to get this second one setup so it can be seen. It may be the way I set up Main OS, or network! Who knows but couple members have tried and I just can not follow instructions there is always something different, missing, whatever. So much easier to just start from the beginning=What OS is best? XP, Vista, Win7 I have them all. Then someone should be able to walk me through VM creation so that our setup is identical and should work exactly the same. Hope all this makes sense to someone.:shrug:

onefstsnake

Windows 7 seemed to work a little better/easier.
Now on my 2 VM's I had to go view the folding files in windows explorer first before being able to see the progress in HFM.

I think this is because my VM's are password protected and HFM doesnt seem to get past that part.

So ill go to windows explorer > Networks >Ubuntu. Then type in your username/password, files should come up now. Now go into HFM and point it to Ubuntu and it should show the drop down work folder.

OP
Hardass

Hardass

Windows 7 seemed to work a little better/easier.
Now on my 2 VM's I had to go view the folding files in windows explorer first before being able to see the progress in HFM.

I think this is because my VM's are password protected and HFM doesnt seem to get past that part.

So ill go to windows explorer > Networks >Ubuntu. Then type in your username/password, files should come up now. Now go into HFM and point it to Ubuntu and it should show the drop down work folder.

My network does not see the second rig, everything is shared according to folder but does not show up anywhere.

OP
Hardass

Hardass

Do I need to change any network settings on this??

Attachments

• net.jpg
    net.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 129

torin3

And on my network, I can see each share only on the machine the VM is running on.

So, VM1 on Vista Ultimate 64 bit can only be seen on my Vista machine.
VM2 on XP Pro 32bit can only be seen on my XP machine.

I've changed hostnames so I'm not having the problem of 2 identically named shares.

onefstsnake

I havent been able to get mine to work either but I havent messed with it much because all my rigs are close to each other.

I think if they are all on 1 OS it would work.
I know with windows 7 you can use the homegroup to network computers but Im not sure that would work since VMs show up as a separate network.

As far as your screenshot goes, I have mine setup as NAT.

OP
Hardass

Hardass

On mine Rig1 is named Ubuntu-64bit and Rig2 is Ubuntu-fah as you can see in pic above.

OP
Hardass

Hardass

I havent been able to get mine to work either but I havent messed with it much because all my rigs are close to each other.

I think if they are all on 1 OS it would work.
I know with windows 7 you can use the homegroup to network computers but Im not sure that would work since VMs show up as a separate network.

As far as your screenshot goes, I have mine setup as NAT.

Both rigs running Win7.

OP
Hardass

Hardass

Ubuntu VM,s will show up as workgroup network,s

Not on mine. This is rig 2, notice no ubuntu-fah. In rig1 ubuntu shows in network as ubuntu.
net1.jpg

torin3

I think Swag is saying you need to setup a workgroup to be able to view them at once.

No, they automatically put the Samba shares into a workgroup named "workgroup".

My workgroup is named Horde for my windows machine. When I share a VM folder, another workgroup shows up named workgroup and the ubuntu machine shows up in it.

Edit: I'll be offline for about a half an hour. One of my snakes died today and I'm cranky, and I'm going out to get the last ingredient for the homemade hot chocolate recipe we had when I was a kid.

The reason I've been jumping in on this thread so much is I've been trying to help Hardass get this working for a while in PMs. I'm a bit more used to unix type systems, but not quite enough to fix this.

OP
Hardass

Hardass

Thanks guys, build of rig3 starts tomorrow so see you all then!:comp:

OP
Hardass

Hardass

yes I do insist as it's about that time :D

Then if that is your wish consider it done!:cool: Just need someone to recommend what OS I should try on this one to help the setup process as far as getting monitoring completed.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
to be used or to not be used?

will you be using it or just letting it run?

also is it gonna have gpu2 clients running?

those to me are some important factors IMO...